Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-30-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Another interesting 2-4 hand

Ok so I am playing 2-4 Omaha HL and I get dealt the
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB. I get one limper in MP and the SB calls and I raise. Id rather have more ppl in but whatever. MP calls and SB drops out. Flop comes

6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I debate leading out but I decide to check it. He checks behind.

Next card is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I bet. This is the bet that I am curious about. When he checked behind I thought he may have a similair hand to me. I liked the 8 b/c now I have a pair/ nut low draw which if i hit a pair (A,2,4) I figure to scoop or at least get half and if my low gets there with another card then ive got nut low and a pair which I will probably bet on the river for value also.

So I get a call and the river comes a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and so I bet it out for value figuring I'll get at least half. Correct?

Hypothetical question... River comes J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]... do I bet at it as a bluff. Anyone for checkcalling that?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Another interesting 2-4 hand

If the river is a J, I make the continuation bet on the river. My pair of 8's can't possibly be good anymore so I fold to a river raise here.

Dave
Old 12-30-2005, 08:27 PM

if you raise this hand preflop here (i never would), you have to bet this flop heads-up. you aren't going to hit a high hand very often w/ A248s, so your raise needs to buy you fold equity from stuff like 23QJ or whatever on many flops. but if your average opponent is going to peel that KQ6r flop with a raw bd nut low draw or JJ or something, this strategy is going to get expensive.

if you check, you have many options, including check/folding a flop like this, while your opponents will still make the same mistakes at a much higher EV gain for you.

stuff like A2KT, suited or not, is much better to raise in this spot, though even then i'd rather check.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:28 PM

You played the hand fine. If the river is a J, im either check-folding or leading out. I'd probably lead out.