Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 04:26 PM

Default 99 on the Button

B&M Cardroom, .50/1 NL Hold'em $40 dollar max buy-in.

The game is extremely loose, Villian will bet weak with a hand when he's afraid of a raise and tends call down with weak holdings hoping they will hold up I saw him call all the way down with top pair weak kicker to re-raise and made a crying call when he KNEW he had the smaller full house, no reads yet on UTG+2

These are all estimates by just looking at their stack size:

UTG+1 $60
Villian $85
Hero $180

Hero is on the button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 4 folds, Hero calls, Villian raises to 10, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls. Pot $31

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] SB bets $10, UTG+1 Calls, Hero Calls, Pot$ 51-4(rake) = $47

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Villian eargerly bets $20 UTG+1 folds, Hero folds.

I was going to raise him on the turn if a blank fell. Any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: 99 on the Button

A blank on that turn compared to your hand is a 2 or a 3 non club.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 PM

So should I have folded the flop?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
B&M Cardroom, .50/1 NL Hold'em $40 dollar max buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
-4(rake)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Even if the players are complete idiots (which I'm sure they are) I doubt this game can be beaten by anyone other than the house.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:53 PM

I think you need to raise the bet on the flop. By just calling you have no idea where you stand. If you raise and he comes over the top you can still get away from it if you are assuming he has the 6 (you said it was a loose game) or pocket 8s. More than likely he's on a FD/SD and you either make him pay for his draw or you win the hand right there.

Plus his $20 bet is pretty weak - it is less than 1/2 the pot so he still hasn't shown any real strength.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:01 PM

Define "beaten" do you mean walking away with one or more BB/hr? Or simply walking away with more than your initial buy-in? BTW, the people at these games in this particular cardroom ARE complete idiots, the will go all in with nothing, call an all in with nothing, call with bottom pair, raise with a hand like 66 in EP and call all the way down against a bettor when there are nothing but overs on the board. So you can see why if you play a tight aggresive style, you will win the majority of the time. These guys just leak their chips to you.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:03 PM

Thanks for giving me some real advice compared to some other yahoo.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:07 PM

I just mean that over the longrun it seems like the rake is going to eat you alive (obviously you seemed to be doing well on this occasion being up several buy-ins).

Is it one of those places that has a $3 auto-drop on the flop plus another dollar at a given pot size? If that's the case (when you factor in tips to the dealer) they're taking close to (if not more than) an entire buy-in off the table every orbit. If the competition is super weak it probably can be "beaten" (i.e. you can make money), but personally I'd find a better game or just play on the internet. B&M isn't very friendly for small stakes, you probably need a $100 max game to really make decent money.

J
Old 12-20-2005, 05:18 PM

Right you are about the rake and the drop. The house takes a 3 dollar rake and a 1 dollar jackpot drop if the pot is over seven dollars. Some of the time you will have six handed and have every body check the flop, turn and river because betting at that point isn't even worth it. I'll usuaually tip the dealer a dollar or two depending on the size of the pot won. At these games there are usually weak players and usually one or two sharks for every weak game. I usually try to identify who's who first when I sit down. I'll usually stay out of the stronger player's way and fish for the other 7 or 8 players. Most of the time, I'm able to get up from that table with 1 or more buy-ins. But you are right, you have a better chance at the $100 NL table but I have to play within my bankroll for the time being. How much of a bank roll do you need for a 1/2 NL game?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:22 PM

The general rule of thumb is 20 buy-ins for whatever level you're playing so $100 NL would be $2k (never hurts to have more of course). If you're looking to build your bankroll I'd seriously consider going through internet play...you get more hands per hour and the lower rake (and no tips) will help you move up much more quickly.

Good luck,
J