Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Countering a Good Hand Reader

+2 is a TAG poster and does a good job of reading hands and playing his hand accordingly.

UTG is not much to talk about. On the tightish side, but passive.

UTG limps, +2 raises, folded to me in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I call, UTG calls

Flop is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, UTG checks, +2 bets, I check/raise, UTG folds, +2 makes it 3.

Obviously if he called the flop, I'd bet any turn hoping to 3 bet. However, given his flop 3 bet, what sort of cards on the turn determine how you'll maximize the deception you've gained here.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Countering a Good Hand Reader

would he really think you'd never do this with a really strong hand (set or straight)? all i'm saying is that since he is a good hand reader A4s, 55, 33, 22, and 64s should make up part of the range of hands you play this way, so i don't see how this is deceptive.

i am calling this 3-bet and hoping a non-[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 through K or 3 or 2 falls on the turn so i can bet 3-bet it.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:53 PM

A -- Torn between betting and checking. Often overcard to many of his pairs, puts 4 straight on the board. Check-raise to sometimes collect another bet and occasionally cap on AA?

K -- also often an overcard, but not nearly as bad. bet to avoid missing bets and three bet when he realizes you rarely have K4.

QJT -- c/r/cap to catch his turned set.

diamonds - c/r hoping to get one from pairs w/o diamonds and two from pairs with.

Everything else is a c/r, I think.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
+2 is a TAG poster and does a good job of reading hands and playing his hand accordingly.

UTG limps, +2 raises, folded to me in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I call, UTG calls

Flop is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Obviously if he called the flop, I'd bet any turn hoping to 3 bet. However, given his flop 3 bet, what sort of cards on the turn determine how you'll maximize the deception you've gained here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still not sure why you called a PFR with suited trash OOP in a 3 handed pot. I fold this everytime when a good player is raising
Old 12-20-2005, 12:05 AM

Call.

Then bet the turn.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 AM

Given that you checkraised the flop for elimination the good Tag will already put you on a one pair type hand or a flush draw or a straight draw or maybe total air since you know this is a board that will likely miss everybody.

So youve already done your job of disguising your hand just by the way you played the flop and it shows by the extra action youve already induced your tag opponent to dish out.

Now you need to cap right away on the flop and lead the turn. This line is better than calling the flop 3 bet and betting the turn becuz the villain may get suspicious and just call down.

The cap flop lead turn line is also better than calling the 3bet and checkraising the turn becuz the former line will induce the villain to draw dead more often.

To show you what I mean, I'll give you an example. Lets say the villain has JJ, and you call the flop 3 bet and the turn is an Ace or even a King. Now when you checkraise here, the villain may fold, but if you capped the flop and lead the turn, the villain is now much more likely to call down no matter what hits the turn or river.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still not sure why you called a PFR with suited trash OOP in a 3 handed pot. I fold this everytime when a good player is raising

[/ QUOTE ]

In this situation I would also fold, given that we have a good tag raising from an early position against an early position limper, this means there is a higher probability than normal that the hero is drawing to 3 outs or less, which means there is also a higher probability than normal that the hero will make a second best hand. This is a situation I like to avoid even when I'm getting 5-1 to participate.

Now if you change the action to, guy open limps in MP1, good tag raises in CO, folded to BB, now A4s is too strong of a hand to consider folding even though the hero would still be OOP in a 3 handed pot.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call.

Then bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd do this too.

He'll raise a lot because he will reading your hand as a pair trying to not allow a free card to overcards and you can 3bet a lot. Also, you don't want him checking behind ever. A c/r will make him fold hands on the turn after only putting 1 bet in that he would've put in 2.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:47 AM

Fold preflop.

Call the flop.

Bet the turn.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call.

Then bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]