Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-06-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Choose your seat (complex)

30/60 game and youre about to sit down.

seat 1 is the worst player at the table. not too fishy but hes sorta dumb. misses bets, is predictable etc.

seat 2 is a highly aggressive player but he is a little too loose and is a poor handreader often making bad call downs.

seat 3 plays well preflop but is passive postflop

seat 4 is 46/12/1 over 39 hands.

seat 5 is a winning player but hes tight passive. he makes some stupid chases sometimes though with flop peels and never bluffs. he likes to call down alot.

if you could sit anywhere between these players where would it be?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Choose your seat (complex)

Initially you would think to sit behind the worst player, but that seat isn't too good because you have a hard to play against player on your left. Furthermore, you don't make that much money blind stealing because both him and one further left defend too much (for you).

It would be nice to seat between 4 and 5, as you get to isolate a very loose player, and you get to steal 5's blinds. A bonus is that when you steal on the button, you will get to play seat 1 a ton, and make lots of money off of him. You are also opposite the agro guy, so are at a safe distance.

I like between 4-5.

I can't even find another seat that compares.

Edit: I guess my initial seat of between 1-2 is decent, but you really have to know how to use the agro guy to your left, which can be hard.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 PM

I read Spicymoose's response but I disagree and am going to sit between 1 and 2. Having a very aggro guy on my left isn't ideal, but if he's very aggro and a bad hand-reader to boot, it is pretty easy to adjust to him -- there are going to be lots of opportunities to have him bet our hand for us and trap other players who see the flop (like the passive post-flop guy to his left and the worst player to our right), and lots of opps to C/R him and let him make his bad calldowns. I want to act after the worst player at the table barring counter-arguments, and I think tight-passive in seat 5 is a reasonable button on our BB (though he's a winning player), so I don't think the seat 2 guy is enough of a counterargument to forego sitting on his right. Seat 4 is just about totally unknown and I haven't a clue how he plays postflop, so I can't really evaluate - call him unknown and take the best seat I can find, which I think is between 1 and 2.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:33 PM

If seat 4 was after 1000 hands, would you then choose between 4-5? I am currently unsure of how many hands I need to know a player is too loose, and have posted in the Probability forum for someone to help me. I know people always throw out numbers like 50, or 100, or whatever, but at any number of hands, we can have some sort of confidence interval. I think that even though this is only 39 hands, we still know his VPIP is probably too high a good portion of the time.

I agree that seat 1-2 is good if you can know how to use it. My main problem is that a lot of our money comes from blind stealing on the button, and in this situation we will be up against relatively good blind defenders. They do have many post flop mistakes, but the agro guy is helped automatically by being in a blind stealing situation. Seat 4-5 rocks because when we have SB, we are stealing against a tighty, and when we are in the button, we are stealing against a tighty and a horrible BB.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 PM

at first I thought it was between 1 and 2, then I read the posts and thought maybe it was between 4 and 5, then, I thought some more and decided it was between 3 and 4 because you'll be able to steal so many blinds.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at first I thought it was between 1 and 2, then I read the posts and thought maybe it was between 4 and 5, then, I thought some more and decided it was between 3 and 4 because you'll be able to steal so many blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get your response. You choose 3-4 primarily (at least all that you said) because of steals. 4-5 is way better than 3-4 for steals. In 3-4 you have a what seams to be pretty loose guy (but a bit unknown) in the BB when you are SB. Yeah, you have it decent when you are button, and have a tight BB, but he knows how to play, so when he does, you won't be making all that much money. But in 4-5 you get a good SB vs BB steal and although you won't automatically steal when you are in the button, post flop you will be playing against a guy making tons of mistakes.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:41 PM

without reading other responses i say between 4 and 5

Edited: yeah i gotta say that between 4 and 5 is looking more and more like clearly the best seat. You are in a good position with regard to both stealing blinds and blind steal defense. I think this seat also minimizes your difficult decisions postflop as well.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 PM

5 on your immediate left, obviously.

And this is not close to complex.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If seat 4 was after 1000 hands, would you then choose between 4-5?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. He'd be too loose pre- but that's not enough for me to overcome "worst player at the table." He could be very decent post-flop, his "too looseness" could be inflated by the fact that he never folds blinds in steal situations, etc. And note that while seat 5 is labeled tight-passive, he's also labeled a winner in the game, which means he's better than most you'll come across. I see no great reason to want have him on my immediate left.

[ QUOTE ]
My main problem is that a lot of our money comes from blind stealing on the button, and in this situation we will be up against relatively good blind defenders.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could be good or bad. We know aggro is a bad hand reader and over-aggro. We know the other guy is passive post-flop. We don't have a good sense of if they apply pressure correctly or react to it correctly (although both have a bit of the call-down in them). These two acting in tandem should mean that we'll be able to play pretty well post-flop when its us against the blinds.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5 on your immediate left, obviously.

And this is not close to complex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you put tons of thought into this. Great job.