Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 04:29 PM

Default A day at the Taj

For what it's worth, a quick review of a trip to the Taj Friday 7/8.
I hadn't been to the Taj in about 4 years, normally when I play B&M in AC it's at The Borgata.
Got there about 9am, no wait for any tables.
Sat at 3/6 for about 3 hours and won $35.
Was completely stupified by some of the other players:
One guy tried to push all in twice, another older gentleman sitting next to me had no concept of what blinds were and I patiently explained it to him on several occasions. The play was exceedingly loose, players called pre-flop raises with almost anything (One guy in the BB chased down QQ when he called a pre-flop raise with 2-6 and hit two pair on the flop).
Played in the 12:15 tournament, which, quite admirably started right on time, with 184 players ($50+10, $5000 in chips). Again the variety of players was quite wide, many/most knew what they were doing, but several had to have rules explained; one guy pushed all-in with about 5000 on chips to win a $75 pot- but I guess this is not shocking news.
I busted out (AQ beat my AKs) in the mid-40s and played in a $100 SNG.
I played because I was there for the day and wanted to play another tournament, but frankly, the set up left much to be desired:
$20 rake. Each person starts with $1000 in chips and blinds go up every 15 minutes. And winner take all. Obviously an all-in fest. In a game of luck, I turned out to be the lucky one getting AA two hands in a row. Down to 3 players I busted 33 when my A3 made a straight on the river. We played heads up for about 5 hands and agreed to chop it 70-30 when I had over half the chips.
All in all a good time. I thought the dealers were very competent. Many players were weaker than I would have expected (It had been about 6 months since my last B&M trip and I think I expected everyone to have read SSHE and HOH- it took me a while to adjust).
That's all folks.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: A day at the Taj

Nice post. I play at the taj regularly...mostly 5-10 or 10-20. Pretty loose there too. Its gets frustrating when raises arent respected at all. Could raise and show your hand of pocket As ten times in a row and 7 peoplle will still call your raise next hand. Anyway nothing new to any regular.I agree that the structure is pure crap in the tourns there too. I dont even bother anymore. Good luck in the future.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post. I play at the taj regularly...mostly 5-10 or 10-20. Pretty loose there too. Its gets frustrating when raises arent respected at all. Could raise and show your hand of pocket As ten times in a row and 7 peoplle will still call your raise next hand. Anyway nothing new to any regular.I agree that the structure is pure crap in the tourns there too. I dont even bother anymore. Good luck in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of play should not frustrate you. You have aces, do you want them to fold everytime you have aces?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:38 PM

Nice report.

You didnt comment on the new carpet.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You didnt comment on the new carpet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Successful poker players do not look down at their shoes and the carpet, they keep their head held high looking for unmarried asian women.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:44 PM

Successful poker players do not look down at their shoes and the carpet, they keep their head held high looking for unmarried asian women.

Ok..what about the new chairs, did anyone notice the chairs?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Its very difficult to sit back in them. After awhile they start to hurt my back.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the new chairs they had, but the new felt and bumbers were quite nice actually.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:13 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

I just wish they'd get new chips, or at least friggin' clean the ones they have! Last Friday, I lost count of how many times other people put an extra chip or two into the pot in a 3/6 game. And I had to pause every other bet to break off the right number of chips from my stack. Sheesh! I was happier over at the new HoB room at the Showboat, even if there were fewer games and people there; I was able to get a table instantly and I didn't feel as if I needed to soak my hands in disinfectant after handling the chips. The tables were slightly short now and then, but usually there were at least 7 people present.

While playing at the HoB, I happened to mention that I was staying at the Taj, and someone asked, "Why aren't you playing over there, then?" My response: "Have you seen the chips there?!??! Yuck!!!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Mike