Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 01:05 AM

Default Re: PartyPoker Gestapo!

I can understand that PartyPoker does not allow this bot to be used on their site. But the real issue here is not about bots, its about privacy and control. How can one website refuse to allow you to login simply because they have detected that you have visited another particular website they do not approve of? How have they determined this? What software have they installed on my computer without my permission? What else does it do? What kind of personal information does it collect about me? This should concern all of us, especially those of us who enjoy playing on PartyPoker.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:12 AM

Default Re: A Pokerbot has finally arrived.

[ QUOTE ]
sblind is supposed to be 1.
bblind is supposed to be 2.
and so on around the table ...
dealer is supposed to be 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't help determine your position relative to the button, which is crucial especially preflop

[ QUOTE ]
the number one choice right now seems to be
nopponentsbetting ... which would count any calling opponent or any raising opponent
nopponentscalling ... would be just those that have called
nopponentsraising ... would be just thos that have raised
these numbers would change if the opponents subsequently fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
number of opponents left to act would also be nice, especially for making pre flop decisions.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Cheating - The bottom line

dark,

based on the classic form of poker, i disagree with you.
technically speaking, in the classic form, if you acquire knowledge of another players cards you are behooved to tell that player that you now have knowledge of his cards and you are also behooved to inform the rest of the table as well. at which point the other players can request access to the knowledge that you have; this is in the same spirit as a folded hand revealed to just a few players and not the entire table.

in the classic rules, if you fail to do this then it is like seeing somebody accidentally drop some cash and not immediately informing them of the event.

now, im sure that most players feel that if they did not try to intentionally usurp the card info then they are innocent ... much the same way the person who sees the $100 bill drop feels they are innocent because they didn't initiate any theft against the victim.

due to the recent debate over teaming and sharing, i think everyone knows im not trying to ride a moral high horse here.

i just think the classic form of poker demands that card knowledge never spread to any player other than the one dealt, for any reason - accidental,intentional or otherwise. and the moment any card knowledge ceases to be contained ... the game ceases to be the classic form of poker that we all know and love.

winholdem support.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:30 AM

Default Re: A Pokerbot has finally arrived.

fleece,

i am told that development has just released the betposition fix for winholdem.

sblind should be 1.
bblind should be 2.
etc.
dealer should be 10. (assuming 10 players dealt)

and they have asked us to forward their apologies to everyone for any inconvenience.

winholdem support.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This should concern all of us, especially those of us who enjoy playing on PartyPoker.

[/ QUOTE ]

It concerns me very much. I’m right at the top the list of those screaming for privacy ... I am also right at the top of the list of those who are very glad to see Party blocking players from connecting to a website that is used to cheat at poker.

They are not censoring what you can and cannot read on the net ... they are preventing you from connecting to a site known to be used for cheating while you are playing.

I really really hope people aren’t foolish enough to fall for what you are trying to do here.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:19 AM

Party isn't "... blocking players from connecting to a website that is used to cheat at poker." And they aren't "... preventing you from connecting to a site known to be used for cheating while you are playing" either. So Terry, what exactly is it I am "... trying to do here"?
Old 02-16-2004, 02:19 AM

Since they fall outside of the jurisdiction of US law, I imagine they can pretty much do what they want in accordance to the law of the country they're based in. Good for them.

On the other hand, you of course have the right NOT to play at their site.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:54 AM

Oh I get it, if they "...fall outside of the jurisdiction of US law ... they can pretty much do what they want in accordance to the law of the country they're based in." So does the law in the country they're based in give them the right to install some kind of trojan on my US based computer? Hmmm, I think MY computer falls INSIDE the jurisdiction of the United States of America. What country are you from fluff?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:14 AM

Oh I get it, if they "...fall outside of the jurisdiction of US law ... they can pretty much do what they want in accordance to the law of the country they're based in."

That is pretty much correct, yes.

"So does the law in the country they're based in give them the right to install some kind of trojan on my US based computer?"

I'm not entirely familiar with laws in various Caribbean bananna republics, save that in general they're fairly lax, and that multi-billion dollar gambling portals probably can do whatever they want. Also, what they've installed is probably more like a cookie, which various companies US based or not routinely install on your computer.

"Hmmm, I think MY computer falls INSIDE the jurisdiction of the United States of America."

Yes, but you go right ahead and try and see if you have any recourse against a foreign based company. If they have disclosed this in their EULA, your chances quickly shift from slim to none, to definitely none. Consider yourself lucky, they could've also closed your account and seized all your money, and you still couldn't do anything about it. No amount of feigned indignance is going to change this.

"What country are you from fluff?"

Not that it is any of your business, and I fail how this contributes to any of the discussion, but I live in the US.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party isn't "... blocking players from connecting to a website that is used to cheat at poker." And they aren't "... preventing you from connecting to a site known to be used for cheating while you are playing" either.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what they are doing and I don't have a problem with it.
Closed Thread