Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-24-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Can this pot be won?

You're playing against a passive and predictable opponent.

He limps UTG and you raise 4x in MP with TT. Folded to him and he calls.

Flop comes down Q22 rainbow. Checked to you. You bet 2/3 pot and he smooth calls.

Well he might as well flip his cards over, he's not fooling anyone. He almost certainly has a Q and is 100% beating me right now.

Here's the question: aside from a T coming on the turn or river, are you shutting down completely on this hand? What do you think the liklihood is of pushing him off his Q if a K comes on the turn? How much are you normally willing to invest to see if it's possible?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Can this pot be won?

[ QUOTE ]
You're playing against a passive and predictable opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

C/f unless he minbets.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you shutting down completely on this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup.
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think the liklihood is of pushing him off his Q if a K comes on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not that great, if he is as passive as you describe, he will check/call as always.

[ QUOTE ]
How much are you normally willing to invest to see if it's possible?

[/ QUOTE ]
Zero, because you are drawing to 10 outs (A,K,T) and he probably isn't folding unless you push. Are you willing to put your stack behind a bluff here? I think such large bluffs are -EV in SSNL. Put your money in when you have a hand, a passive player will call your value bets then.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:55 PM

i think your bet was good post flop, but i would check the turn, and i am almost certain that he will check aswell.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:00 AM

If he's Tight, you can push him off when an overcard falls. If he's Loose, fuggedaboutit.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:09 AM

I'll fire the turn again with a good read. It's profitable if he folds a better hand often enough. Also, a lot of passive opponents will autocall this flop with ANY pocket pair and fold to a turn bet. But you have to know your man to fire the second barrel. I actually don't mind firing a second barrel with a hand like TT (with basically no outs). If the flop is double suited, the turn may set up a chance to bluff the 4th flush card on the river, so in that situation I usually check the turn (you are in good position to represent the A in the 1 card nut flush).