Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: 99 on the Button

I raise the flop then you get a much better idea of what your up against. He may have just continuation bet the flop with a hand like AK. If you face heavy action on later streets or a reraise on the flop its an easy fold, villan likely has an over pair, 88, or possibly A6s if the game is really that loose.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:34 PM

Why did you just call preflop? Why did you just call on the flop? He could have AK or AQ on the flop betting continuation, raise to see where you're at. If he keeps betting strong, get out. As is you have to fold the turn.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the flop then you get a much better idea of what your up against. He may have just continuation bet the flop with a hand like AK. If you face heavy action on later streets or a reraise on the flop its an easy fold, villan likely has an over pair, 88, or possibly A6s if the game is really that loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's that loose, then how about any 6.

Raise Preflop.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:22 PM

Raise PF instead of limping.

Once you limp and are raised by the SB, I actually favor folding (am I too weak?). 99 will be tough to play, you are either way behind a bigger PP or slightly ahead of overcards. Plus the raiser is too shortstacked for you to be getting good implied odds here.

Postflop I admit I'm lost, I don't know how to play an overpair vs a preflop raiser. His lead bet does look weak, but UTG+1 smoothcalling, the paired board, and the possible flush + straight draws makes it even harder to make a decision. Even if I'm ahead now, there are probably a lot of turn + river cards that can beat me. You can raise to "see where you're at," but that is a lot of money to play just to get some info. I'd probably call out of confusion, but I think a fold is in order. I'd definitely fold when he leads the turn.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:29 PM

I guess I played that hand weak on the flop, I should kick myself for that one. Thanks for berating me.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:33 PM

Usually in a limit game I would have raise pre-flop and raised the flop, I think I played this hand a little to passively. I don't like that answer but that is pretty much the truth.