Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-16-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Bluffing with KQ

Party 6-max 15/30.

I open raise the button with KQo, and a somewhat tricky TAG in the SB 3-bets. I cap.

Flop is A73r.

He checks, I bet, he checkraises, I 3-bet.

Good?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Bluffing with KQ

Ha, I thought the bluff was going to be the preflop cap. I think this is really bad. He's prety much always going to showdown here and youre probably drawing extremely thin since this isn't a likely board for him to not have a pair.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is really bad. He's prety much always going to showdown here and youre probably drawing extremely thin since this isn't a likely board for him to not have a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0&fpart=1

Please explain the difference.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:32 AM

Calling the flop CR and raising the turn seems the best way to fold this guy. It's more expensive but has more fold equity.

However, I really don't like this play as a standard play. I hate to spew chips when the guy's most likely holding is Ax and I'm drawing nearly dead. That being said, I will sometimes pull this play when I feel they will overrespect a flop 3-bet from me. But, this is so rare and the table conditions and flow of the previous 25 hands dictate this.

Sometimes it's best to fold, even when you know that Villian will think that he outplayed you with his 88 or something else.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:34 AM

The difference is that KK is ahead of all the pocket pairs that he is checkraising, but KQ is behind those.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference is that KK is ahead of all the pocket pairs that he is checkraising, but KQ is behind those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but everyone hated 3-betting the KK because PPs and non pairs would fold, and we would miss out on him bluffing into us later.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:54 AM

In my view, this play can only be justified by some history between the two of you. In other words, I wouldn't do that based on cold numbers, but only if he seemed to be 3-betting light, or you had recently fallen into a pattern of folding quickly in similar situations.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:35 AM

I don't like getting involved with tricky tags in capped pots with KQo, especially when I whiff the flop. You're never pushing him off an Ace here, and will rarely be able to tell if he has the Ace or not. 3-betting the flop will likely get you CRed again on the turn whether he has it or not. I think your better line if you MUST continue is to smoothcall the flop CR and raise the turn. He still isn't going to let go of an Ace but he'll let go of some other hands that beat you, such as underpairs. Or he may play uber agg and pop you back.

Ultimately, I think this is an ugly spot to get involved with a tricky TAG, and I'm assuming he is more TAG preflop and more tricky postflop. If you think he is capable of folding to aggression, then I think the above turn line is your best chance in taking down the pot. 3-betting the flop, he is likely to go into check/call mode with any pocket pair.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 AM

My only concern with this play is whether PPs actually call down after we 3-bet.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ultimately, I think this is an ugly spot to get involved with a tricky TAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. As for whether he will call down, its highly player dependent and up to your read. A lot of the worse TAGs who are not so aggressive will call down in this spot. I myself call down with a PP a good portion of the times here.