Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-07-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Is this spewage? I never know what to do here.

Mp is dopey and doesn't matter
Co is unknown 3 hands so far

Party Poker 10.00/20.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB.

I never know whether I'm ahead of Ahx or i'm already crushed. . .help?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Is this spewage? I never know what to do here.

I play it the same, jamming the flop is pretty standard, and you want to make him pay for his flush draw if he's on it. Also, the turn donkbet prevents the free card. After he raises, I just call down as well.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:03 AM

it's fine. the flop 3-bet is very important for value and the chance to fold MP1's heart those times you need to. when capped you have to bet the turn, and when raised you have a decision. call or 3-bet. the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x hands are pretty much out, leaving made flushes and overpairs. none of these hands want a free showdown and you might be capped by the other K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or possibly worse. in a big pot vs. an unknown it is much much better to call the turn. on the river you can consider getting more bets in, but again against an unknown it's probably not safe to do so because you cannot react confidently to a 3-bet, while 99/88/AA/flush are a fair portion of his range - depending on the MO of a typical 10/20 player, perhaps more than 50%.

nice hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:18 AM

I'm gonna tell you how I would play this hand.

PREFLOP: Same as you

FLOP: I would bet out the flop, and just call the MP3's flop raise. I'm just calling becuz my hand is not that strong on this board, it is really important to me to see that a heart doesnt hit 4th street before I make another strategic move. If I had the King of hearts I would 3 bet the flop. I realize that just calling the flop raise is contraversial since I allow the MP1 guy to stay in the hand for one more small bet, but thats how I would play the flop.

TURN: Given that turn blank, I would spring back to life and bet out the turn. Partially for value and partially to protect my hand the times it is still good. I would not checkraise the turn since I do not want to get 3 bet on this board, and I would not check/call the turn since that line will not put any pressure on the MP1 guy. If MP3 raises my turn donkbet I would just call.

RIVER: I would check and call.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same, jamming the flop is pretty standard, and you want to make him pay for his flush draw if he's on it. Also, the turn donkbet prevents the free card. After he raises, I just call down as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Villian has an Ace and a heart draw, hero has only 54% equity in the pot, and thats probably the best case scenario. You can't "make a flush draw pay" when he's got 12 outs against your hand.

I'm not saying I don't like the flop 3bet, as we'd love MP1 to fold a heart and hope that villian doesn't have one, but you aren't punishing a flush draw here. You do that on the turn.

lf
Old 12-07-2005, 06:42 AM

Playing this hand this way jsut makes me feel owned when I get shown QhJh or something. I think I autopilot 3bet that flop way too much, in fact that looks exactly like a line I would take if I'm frustrated. I like betcalling the flop and the donking the turn. If he raises the turn again I"ll just call down (unless i feel very strongly abotu it and I know the opponent well then I'll donk the river).
Old 12-07-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't "make a flush draw pay" when he's got 12 outs against your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

When your opponent is drawing to 12 outs after the flop, he is not the favorite. You do indeed "make him pay" by putting more money in. Your edge is small, but it's there. (This still doesn't necessarily justify the 3-bet, due to the additional chances that opponent already is ahead, and not just drawing. I am just nitpicking about your conclusion after assuming opponent has exactly 12 outs. Maybe you didn't mean this statement exactly the way you wrote it?)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying I don't like the flop 3bet, as we'd love MP1 to fold a heart and hope that villian doesn't have one, but you aren't punishing a flush draw here. You do that on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you do it on both streets. If we absolutely knew the opponent had just those 12 outs, we would want to put in as much money as possible, wouldn't we?

alThor