Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-07-2005, 12:46 AM

Default I can\'t be ahead

I have 77 in the CO of a 15/30 game at party. The Hijack opens for a raise, I 3-bet, the BB comes along and the hijack caps it, all call. No info on either player.

FLOP 3,3,6 two hearts

Check, bet, I raise, fold, 3-bet, I call.

TURN 4o

He bets I call.

River 6

He bets I fold. I just really don't see any hand I am ahead of here that he pushes this hard. Maybe AKhh, but once he bets the river the chances of that are reduced. Thoughts?

SGS
Old 12-07-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: I can\'t be ahead

I think it's fine.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:04 AM

With no read on the HiJack, it is kinda hard to tell you what the correct line of action is for you. But I will say this, calling this turn and folding the river does not make sense. If you are so convinced that you are drawing than fold your 2 outer on the turn. There are many players on party that I would never fold 77 against given the action preflop/postflop on that board, and there are others where I wouldve folded the turn unimproved. But there is not one player on party where I would call down on that board and then fold the river for one more bet in a large pot. I think given that you made it to the river you should call for one more bet, and the next time you are convinced you are trailing go with your read and fold the turn.

EDIT: I just realized that you had 6 outs on the turn, so basically ignore my whole post. That changes everything. I would call the turn, and with no read on the villain I would call the river.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just really don't see any hand I am ahead of here that he pushes this hard. Maybe AKhh, but once he bets the river the chances of that are reduced.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really. do you realize how raggedy this board is? Villain can hold the A-high flush draw and bet into you on the river hoping to fold a split once in a while. his range may be even wider - you don't know.

on the turn you aren't ahead tons, but sometimes for sure, and your 6 outs are a good reason not to raise. on the river blank you should call. the pot is very large now and villain should bet A-high or worse if you are capable of folding an ace or pair here. granted the double-paired board discounts the AK/AQ value bet, but to an aggro player it doesn't necessarily matter.

call, expect to win sometimes, and certainly enough.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

call, expect to win sometimes, and certainly enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Don't you think that you'll win this 1 out of 7?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:38 AM

I really have a hard time believing that the bettor will continue to bet into me on the river with a hand that I am ahead of. Especially because of all the strength I have shown. He capped PF and I still raised his flop bet on a raggedy board, it seems that AK has to slow down sometime.

SGS
Old 12-07-2005, 04:39 AM

Given all the strength I have shown and the fact that he hasn't slowed down you still think it's a river call? It seems to me that A-high has to slow down sometime.

SGS
Old 12-07-2005, 04:45 AM

by the time you get to the river this is a must call w/ no read on the villian.... you will run into a ton of villians who will never stop betting in situations like this... you are certainly good 1:7 here.... if you have a good read it's a complete different story, but w/ no read it's a hands down call IMO
Old 12-07-2005, 06:05 AM

One thing about the river is that the board double paired and he may be betting to force out another Ace thats gong to split. Then again I don't know if players at 15/30 bet/3-bet the flop and lead the turn with overcards. Its perfectly reasonable if he has a AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] however...
Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing about the river is that the board double paired and he may be betting to force out another Ace thats gong to split. Then again I don't know if players at 15/30 bet/3-bet the flop and lead the turn with overcards. Its perfectly reasonable if he has a AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] however...

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe there are many players/lags on party that will take this line even w/o two big hearts. With no read on the villain, I am comfortable calling this river in this large pot.