Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Genius losers?

Sometimes I read posts here that explains probability and simulations are run and all this fancy stuff that shows how a certain hand is + or - EV. I am very impressed even though I don't understand any of it (and I did take advanced calculus in 3rd year EE at U Waterloo). Am I right in assuming that if u know all that math and are able to apply it like that, you must big a big winner? Obviuosly, just bc u are good at math doesn't mean u will be a winner at poker, but I figure that if you are that good in applying math to poker and you are a regular on 2+2, you must study poker as well and therefore are a longterm big winner.
Is there anyone here willing to admit that they are losers at poker but can understand all that math mumbo-jumbo that is often displayed here?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Genius losers?

The advanced mathematics has almost no relevance to a winning poker player, however the ability to understand such difficult levels of logic in advanced mathematics helps in poker in a relative sense, because poker is also a very difficult array of logic. As far as being a good poker player there isn't much more you need to know besides basic arithmetic and it's applications.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I read posts here that explains probability and simulations are run and all this fancy stuff that shows how a certain hand is + or - EV. I am very impressed even though I don't understand any of it (and I did take advanced calculus in 3rd year EE at U Waterloo). Am I right in assuming that if u know all that math and are able to apply it like that, you must big a big winner? Obviuosly, just bc u are good at math doesn't mean u will be a winner at poker, but I figure that if you are that good in applying math to poker and you are a regular on 2+2, you must study poker as well and therefore are a longterm big winner.
Is there anyone here willing to admit that they are losers at poker but can understand all that math mumbo-jumbo that is often displayed here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? EV = sigma(probability * return)

It ain't rocket science.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:00 PM

I would have said that what really counts is discipline. Yes, the maths is useful, but it's probably the 2nd or third most important consideration.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:13 PM

You took calculus but do not understand probability? Didn't you have to pass prob before taking calc?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:16 PM

Math is just a tool. If you don't use it right, you won't win. Plus, there's more to poker than just math.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fancy stuff that shows how a certain hand is + or - EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
math mumbo-jumbo

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent seen math more difficult than 7th grade algebra applied to any poker problem on this forum.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:33 PM

Barry Greenstein gave a lecture at UIUC that I attended w/other 2+2ers in which he addressed this topic. He told stories about games with brilliant math professors that he destroyed in poker. I believe he attributed it to brilliant math minds not seeing the big picture.

He told a story about raising pot on the river against a player he knew he just outdrew. The player sat there and computed the odds of Barry having the few hands that beat him and came up with some 1000/1 number and called. The thing he didn't account for was that Barry would only raise him with that hand since Barry knew what he had.

I believe he addresses this in his book as well.

-Craig
Old 12-02-2005, 12:42 PM

I know it was only a movie but wasn't the math genius in the "Cincinatti Kid" a big loser? Even though it was only a movie I thoght it was a good depiction/example that you need more than math skills to be good at Poker.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it was only a movie but wasn't the math genius in the "Cincinatti Kid" a big loser? Even though it was only a movie I thoght it was a good depiction/example that you need more than math skills to be good at Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

xactly!

weasely looking guy with glasses and a notebook doing calcs at the table.

The hand he goes bust on he screams "You should NOT have called with that hand!"

I wish I could find that clip, host it somewhere and send the link via the chatroom to any nit that shouts something similar when outdrawn. It does a nice job of showing what an idiot you look like when you do this (wait, let me replace all the "you"s in this with "I" since I do this as well).

Also, being quick at simple calculations is better than taking time to get a long formula right.

FishNChips