Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: How many people play the $215s?

i'm a current regular... i don't 8-table them, because i usually play in sets it takes too long to fill them up...

but i usually play 4 215s with 4 109s.

i have too small of a sample size to refute the 6% number right now, but it seems low... and i'm diligent about my record-keeping

**** edit... i just realized that maybe i misinterpreted your question.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: I\'m back, serious thoughts on possible 215 ROI\'s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If a reasonable person plays 1000 SNGs and has a 12% ROI, and then goes on a horrible run and drops 37 buy-ins over 50 SNGs... what will his answer be if you ask him "what is your ROI?"

He will say 12%. Even though it is not.

I see it all the time, on this forum and in person.

I see honest, professional, poker-playing friends respond the same way.

My 6% number is a REAL number. It counts misclicks, internet disconnects, drunken evenings, bad decisions, family deaths, and a breakup with your girlfriend. It counts a bad streak that may be worse than what you think you deserve. It also assumes that the player multi-tables.

Life and statistics happen.

Many players will play a lot of $215s and have better than 6% ROI. I know several with >10% for a long time.

But if you want to know what the true, expected long-term ROI of a great player over 1 year, or 10,000 $215 SNGs will be... it will be closer to my 6% than to any number suggested by other zealots.

Anyone who vigorously disagrees with this will not be around to argue the fact in 12 months. (a side bet I have yet to lose)

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the smartest thing said in this entire thread. I have yet to meet a player who honestly takes into account every SNG played whether they're drunk/sober/upset, etc. They conveniently leave out cold streaks and thus don't get a true ROI reading.

[/ QUOTE ]
cmon, you really think most people who use SNG tracker go through and delete imported tournaments? I mean, even if I wanted to alter my stats I would probably be too lazy to do this.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 PM

Don't worry, Im sure that some people do just not import tournaments when they are running badly. Some import tournaments after the day is over, and if they drop like 20 in a row, I can imagine them not wanting to import them, especially if they are lazy.

I would never do this nor would most winning/professional players I know, however I don't doubt that some people do "forget" to import their stats on occasion.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If a reasonable person plays 1000 SNGs and has a 12% ROI, and then goes on a horrible run and drops 37 buy-ins over 50 SNGs... what will his answer be if you ask him "what is your ROI?"

He will say 12%. Even though it is not.

I see it all the time, on this forum and in person.

I see honest, professional, poker-playing friends respond the same way.

My 6% number is a REAL number. It counts misclicks, internet disconnects, drunken evenings, bad decisions, family deaths, and a breakup with your girlfriend. It counts a bad streak that may be worse than what you think you deserve. It also assumes that the player multi-tables.

Life and statistics happen.

Many players will play a lot of $215s and have better than 6% ROI. I know several with >10% for a long time.

But if you want to know what the true, expected long-term ROI of a great player over 1 year, or 10,000 $215 SNGs will be... it will be closer to my 6% than to any number suggested by other zealots.

Anyone who vigorously disagrees with this will not be around to argue the fact in 12 months. (a side bet I have yet to lose)

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the smartest thing said in this entire thread. I have yet to meet a player who honestly takes into account every SNG played whether they're drunk/sober/upset, etc. They conveniently leave out cold streaks and thus don't get a true ROI reading.

[/ QUOTE ]
cmon, you really think most people who use SNG tracker go through and delete imported tournaments? I mean, even if I wanted to alter my stats I would probably be too lazy to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

not everyone uses a program to track. im old school and like using excel. very precise, and itll never miss one unless i get stupid. holla
Old 09-22-2005, 09:09 PM

fwiw, i track my games in a notebook...old old school. It works though. SNG tracker seems to miss like one out of 20 of my games for some reason. I dont like that.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, i track my games in a notebook...old old school. It works though. SNG tracker seems to miss like one out of 20 of my games for some reason. I dont like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeap, have the same problem. i like excel better than writing though, cuz itll calc all my roi an shtuff easy too. holla
Old 09-22-2005, 09:23 PM

SNG tracker automatically scans the tournaments saved on your hard drive. Simply not importing one day means that the tournaments will just get picked up when you import tommorow. In order to alter your stats you have to go back and select individual tournaments to delete from the database. Then again, I'm not sure if even that would work because it would probably just import them back in next time....you'de probably have to manually delete the hand histories on your hard drive.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:05 PM

Oh ok, I use pokertracker.