Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Running Bad: Slow down?

When you KNOW you are running bad. When you can see your QQ losing to 88 with an 8 on the river becfore you are even on the flop. When you KNOW your opponent with KJ suited is going to flush your AK, and so on. When you KNOW that you ARE IN FACT runing bad, but making "correct" decisions, is it possible that slowing down your pushes would be correct?

I am one of those players that plays less when he is winning and plays more when losing. Is it corect for me to slow down my pushes, even if I beleive they are correct?

I am starting to doubt I even know how to play these things...
Old 09-22-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Running Bad: Slow down?

Are we talking in the same tournament or across several different ones? If you're talking about different tournaments I wouldn't change anything. But I'm also in the middle of a pretty substantial downswing and from what I've seen over the course of 1 tournament, people will remember your results even if your pushes are correct. So... the question isn't really if you should push when it's +EV but are your pushes still +EV?

If other players start to see you as a losing player then maybe pushing with KJ on the button isn't so hot anymore because more Axs and more PPs will call you.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you can see your QQ losing to 88 with an 8 on the river becfore you are even on the flop. When you KNOW your opponent with KJ suited is going to flush your AK, and so on

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't possibly know these things.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:11 PM

Welcome to the club. I've been looking at KK and AA and wondering how am I going to get 'em cracked this time. I'm taking a different approach, though: I'm starting a little marathon until the end of the month.

May the flop be with me...
Old 09-22-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you KNOW your opponent with KJ suited is going to flush your AK, and so on

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is the best option when you know this.

Lori
Old 09-22-2005, 04:12 PM

the two hardest things for a poker player are winning and losing.

try to play good poker regardless of your recent short-term results.

i also have a tendency to play less when i'm winning and more when i'm losing---- partly because poker is my only source of income, but mostly because of a leak in my personality which i need to work out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

if you're running bad, you'll tend to start playing bad... move down in limits and build your confidence back up... play some short-handed limit... analyze some of your hand histories... take a couple day break.... just do something that will help you get your head back on track.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:22 PM

I would not stop pushing where you know it is sound poker to so. However, when you are running bad, as hard as it may be, it is best to take a break alltogether. Sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few days.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:29 PM

I hear you, bad beat post but I understand. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I am the same way, I play less when I win and more when I lose.

For example last nite I was planning to play 25 games but got itm 6/8 in my 1st set and jst quit after up a couple hundred bucks. hahaha
Old 09-22-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it corect for me to slow down my pushes, even if I beleive they are correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

= tilt