Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 08-24-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Jonny Magic and the Card Shark Kids

[ QUOTE ]
There was a similar piece in the LA Times that got my dad all freaked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been many of them, the deal with this one that irks me the most, is the guy who wrote this is also trying to sell a book that his key demographic for sales would be people like me who had played Magic and now play online poker. Its insulting that he would need the cash bad enough to write a crap article in a widely distributed magazine that is only going to enhance the paranoia about bots. Especially writing about the piece of excrement that is WinHoldem, which people have shown on this forum is inferior and can't even turn a profit at .5/1 even with loads of programming.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:17 PM

Guerilla marketing?

I received this email today, reproduced in its entirety other than the sender's name & contact information:

[ QUOTE ]
i hope random emails from strangers with company e-mail addresses doesn't freak you out too much, but i was googling "jonny magic and the card shark kids" today, and your post on 2+2 asking whether or not it's good came up.

i'm the publishing assistant here at Listen & Live Audio, until tomorrow, when i'm leaving to pursue other things. anyway, we did the audio version for the book, and i had to proof-listen to it (think proof-read, but listening instead). to be totally honest, i liked it. granted, i am neither a pro poker player, nor am i an old school magic : the gathering player, but i have dabbled in both and consider myself a bona fide geek. so this story was inspiring for me. i don't know about you or your tastes, but it's a pretty quick read and it tells an interesting story. and you probably won't believe this as an unbiased opinion, but i thought it made a better audiobook than a book.

Listen & Live has an interview between Finkel and Kushner that they did last month after the audio was recorded, and it's up on our website for anyone to listen to. i think the interview's the best part, personally. and if the whole "paying Kushner money even though he did dinky articles in Wired and the LA Times" bothers you, it's a good way to get the gist of the book without having to pay money on it.

anyway, back to googling our latest audiobook title to see if it's received any reviews. (hey, it at least LOOKS i'm working these last two days...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else get a hit like this?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guerilla marketing?

[ QUOTE ]
"paying Kushner money even though he did dinky articles in Wired and the LA Times" bothers you, it's a good way to get the gist of the book without having to pay money on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else get a hit like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't get this, though I was the negative one in the thread so I doubt they are going to hit me with this.

I find it funny the person uses "dinky", "Hacking Online Poker" is on the cover of the magazine. The story is across 4 pages, its hardly a dinky 1/4th column note.

Maybe they are slightly concerned because the first non-bookstore website in Google about the book is this forum and this thread.

** You were the only one I am sure, in this small thread about this book, your profile is the only one with a email addy in it.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Flashback

[ QUOTE ]
I am not giving this guy a dime. I ask you to think about doing the same on general principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"Jules, if you give that fuckin' nimrod fifteen hundred dollars, I'm gonna shoot him on general principles."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 PM

Finkel never cheated, and for what it's worth he was probably the best guy to talk to on the PT. There were a lot of assholes in that scene but Finkel wasn't one of them. He did use to eat his boogers though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]