Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 08-16-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Jonny Magic and the Card Shark Kids

Is this book any good?

Here's the synopsis from Amazon:

[ QUOTE ]
If you think a gang of real-life geeks can’t take on the world and win big...think again. And whatever you do, don’t sit down across a gaming table from Jon Finkel, better known as Jonny Magic. Jonny Magic and the Card Shark Kids is his amazing true story: the jaw-dropping, zero-to-hero chronicle of a fat, friendless boy from New Jersey who found his edge in a game of cards–and turned it into a fortune!

The ultimate bully-magnet, Finkel grew up heckled and hazed until destiny came in the form of a trading-card game called Magic: The Gathering. Magic exploded from nerdy obsession to mainstream mania and made the teenage Finkel an ultra-cool world champion.

Once transformed, this young shark stormed poker rooms from the underground clubs of New York City to the high-stakes tables online, until he landed on the largest card-counting blackjack team in the country. Taking Vegas for millions, Finkel’s squad of brainy gamers became the biggest players in town. Then they took on the town’s biggest game, the World Series of Poker, and walked away with more than $3.5 million!

Thrilling, edgy, and ferociously feel-good, the odyssey of these underdogs-turned-overlords is the stuff of pop-culture legend. Acclaimed author David Kushner masterfully deals out the outrageous details while bringing to life a cast of characters rife with aces, kings, knaves…and more than a few jokers. If you secretly believe every player has his day, you’re right. Here’s the proof.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Jonny Magic and the Card Shark Kids

I got a email from Amazon about this, it looks very intresting.

Maybe Paluka or one of the other big Magic guys on the board will come and weigh in on how good they might think it would be.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:30 AM

I can't read this book. Every time I read the name Finkel I think, "Laces out! Die Dan!"
Old 08-18-2005, 10:25 PM

I haven't read the book, but I can't really imagine it's all that good. The blurb there seems pretty misleading and the truth seems somewhat stretched. I do remember the fat dorky 16 yr. old Finkel and he's come a long way. I was recommended this book by amazon via email and I almost died laughing. Maybe Paluka read it but I somehow kinda doubt it.

The WSOP felt like an old time Magic players reunion this year which was pretty fun. Can't wait till next year.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Magic exploded from nerdy obsession to mainstream mania and made the teenage Finkel an ultra-cool world champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure magic was never mainstream mania, and jon finkel was never ultra-cool
Old 08-19-2005, 11:39 AM

I knew those kids when I played magic. they all cheated.
edit: I did not know Jon Finkel, but have met him on many occasions, I mistaked him for someone else. But a lot of the magic players who went on to poker cheated religiously.

and its "pikula" not "paluka"
Old 08-19-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew those kids when I played magic. they all cheated.
edit: I did not know Jon Finkel, but have met him on many occasions, I mistaked him for someone else. But a lot of the magic players who went on to poker cheated religiously.

and its "pikula" not "paluka"

[/ QUOTE ]

You know less than you think you know. 'Round here it is "paluka"
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 PM

What, his username? I was referring to how to spell his last name, sorry. And I apologize for my comment, all the members of team deadguy(jon finkel, chris pikula, etc) were on the straight and narrow. I had a brain fart.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:36 AM

Just another note on this book, the author also wrote a lovely poker bot paranoia piece in Wired this month, that can't be anything but negative for us as online players.

At any rate I was going to buy the book, but becasue of this article in Wired, I am not giving this guy a dime. I ask you to think about doing the same on general principle.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:55 AM

There was a similar piece in the LA Times that got my dad all freaked out.