Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 05-06-2005, 07:02 PM

Default after college - options

Not sure if this is necessarily the best place to throw this question, but people here seem pretty educated so what are your thoughts on post-undergrad options?

I'll have a B.S. in Computer Science soon enough, and I'm weighing the pros and cons of going for a masters in CS, or an MBA. Ultimately I'd like to have both but I have to pay for it all and each one is a two year enterprise, assuming school full-time.

I'd rather not "work for the man" my whole life so the MBA would be a track to eventually running my own business, or at least channel me into an executive position in someone else's business. What about getting the masters right after college, then an MBA later when the comp.sci job has made me enough money to go back to school.

Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: after college - options

If you must, get your masters in your major field. If you are set on an MBA, read this article before you spend too much time and money on it.
(Disclaimer: I have an MBA and think it was the biggest waste of 12 months and $9,000 in my life.)
Old 05-07-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you must, get your masters in your major field. If you are set on an MBA, read this article before you spend too much time and money on it.
(Disclaimer: I have an MBA and think it was the biggest waste of 12 months and $9,000 in my life.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean "24 months and $30K+". If not, you probably got exactly what you paid for.

An MBA at a top school is an extremely valuable credential in terms of creating early career employment possibilities. But more importantly, if you take the program seriously and study hard, you will advance further and faster in your career than you otherwise would. This is pure common sense.

Anyone with doubts about the value of this degree/education, might want to consider a part-time program. A few top schools offer part-time programs (classes on evenings and Saturdays) which will allow you to earn income to offset the costs (and many employers provide tuition assistance for part-time students...and there are tax breaks as well.)
Old 05-07-2005, 12:48 PM

its imperative you get your M.S. or PhD in CompSci if possible. These guys can prove to anyone that they are smart and capable of learning anything in addition to being diligent. It's a gateway to anything and will probably open up MBA options, too.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its imperative you get your M.S. or PhD in CompSci if possible. These guys can prove to anyone that they are smart and capable of learning anything in addition to being diligent. It's a gateway to anything and will probably open up MBA options, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually should be very careful about getting a PhD in computer science, as it takes a very long time and is not as employable in many ways as an MS.

You won't "smell right" for many jobs with a PhD. You'll also meet resistance as being "too academic" and "not practical" and they'll suspect you'll cost too much to boot.

eastbay
Old 05-07-2005, 08:57 PM

I'd rather not "work for the man"

Join local users groups and see if anyone needs cheap IT help.