Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: What could Dannenman have put Hachem on in the last hand?

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the psychological move Hachem made on Dannenman in this hand. When the Ace fell Dannenman went into his Happy Go Lucky Smiley Face routine. Hachem skillfully exploited it by asking something like, "have you been having fun here?". The question sends Dannenman into a Swoon over his good time and good fortune. It reminded me of the scene in the Hustler when Paul Newman, drunk on victory, is ripe to be beat. After Dannenman raises Hachem says, "I thought we were being friendly here". This confuses Dannenman a bit more and before Dannenman can explain how Sincere his Friendliness is Hachem smiles as if to say he already understands, holds up his hand and says, "Stop". Then "I'm all in". When he calls, Dannenman is Drunk on a "Let the good times roll" spirit which Hachem has skillfully catalyzed. Hachem set him up. He out Nice Guyed him.

PairTheBoard
Old 11-17-2005, 03:43 PM

My comments weren't stated so much to defend Danneman as they were to make a commentary on all of the experts on here who think they can make the correct call every time. Sure there are people who could lay this down. I'm sure these same people have made much worse mistakes than this as well. His mistake happend to be on TV with $3 million on the line.

I can't defend his call, I don't know what's going on in his head. Maybe Hachem has been making a lot of these kinds of plays and Dannenman decided to make a stand. Maybe Dannenman is an idiot. I don't know. If Hachem shows 7,6, it's a great call. As it turns out, he had a straight. Why isn't anyone getting on Hachem for calling a preflop raise with 7,3? He had to know he was behind. He got a lucky flop and Dannenman couldn't put him on that hand. Oops.

There are very few hands when you have the nuts. If you lay down every hand to someone who represents a bigger hand than you have, you aren't going to do very well at poker.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why isn't anyone getting on Hachem for calling a preflop raise with 7,3?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a good call. The stacks were deep. It wasn't a lot to call. I play HU tourneys every day - about 20 a day - and can tell you that such a play against an ABC opponent is highly profitable. You muck a whiffed flop and hope to spike a monster. 9 times out of 10 when you spike a monster you crack the ABC or very aggro opponent.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the psychological move Hachem made on Dannenman in this hand. When the Ace fell Dannenman went into his Happy Go Lucky Smiley Face routine. Hachem skillfully exploited it by asking something like, "have you been having fun here?". The question sends Dannenman into a Swoon over his good time and good fortune. It reminded me of the scene in the Hustler when Paul Newman, drunk on victory, is ripe to be beat. After Dannenman raises Hachem says, "I thought we were being friendly here". This confuses Dannenman a bit more and before Dannenman can explain how Sincere his Friendliness is Hachem smiles as if to say he already understands, holds up his hand and says, "Stop". Then "I'm all in". When he calls, Dannenman is Drunk on a "Let the good times roll" spirit which Hachem has skillfully catalyzed. Hachem set him up. He out Nice Guyed him.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

"PASS THE SUGAH!"
Old 11-17-2005, 04:25 PM

I think you are right on. You can see that Hachem is a pro in the every day sense, who is clearly used to playing in every day games where you crack guys playing for fun for a living. I was very impressed with his play at every hand I saw. Particularly impressive was his survival instinct, which was the skill that won him the bracelet in the end.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:01 PM

Do these guys ever make deals at the final table that we don't know about? I honestly have no idea, but I would guess they do. I know I'd sure try to. Obviously Dannenman would be playing a lot more loosey goosey if he knew he was getting a % chop.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:41 PM

Don't know if this has been mentoined before (I'm lazy today, have read only half the responses [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) however I read that Dannenman did say after that he was "tired" and "was ready for it to end."
Old 11-17-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know if this has been mentoined before (I'm lazy today, have read only half the responses [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) however I read that Dannenman did say after that he was "tired" and "was ready for it to end."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think this is definitely true. I'm sure both he and Hachem were exhausted. I think the explanation for Dannenman's play in the last hand, as a few on here have pointed, lies more in his mental and physical fatigue than in his reading of the hand. That is why I was curious as to what hand Dannenman would have put Hachem on at the end.

BTW, if Dannenman calls Hachem's all-in in that last hand and Hachem can't beat top pair then Hachem goes from $23 million ahead to $9 million behind in one hand. Just another reason why I can't imagine putting Dannenman on a better hand than Hachem at that point.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good analysis. Hachem definately took advantage of SD's weaknesses there. I think of all the players at the final table every one of them would have liked to have played SD heads up. He's a nice guy but even he admits that he's only "4th or 5th best at his home game". Sure, he may be playing himself down somewhat but he was much less a risk compared to the rest of the table.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:40 AM

I would have liked to see Danneman raise all-in every hand (or maybe just top 75%) pre-flop. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

550,000 in blinds/antes it can't be too wrong.