Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Party 600 NL AK hand

Sorry i don't have the hand history so this is from memory. I have AK off on the button and there are 6 limpers to me. I raise the $6 blind to $30 and five of us see the flop of

As Qc 5s

It checked around to me and i bet $140 into a pot of about $153. I got one caller late middle position. The turn was an off suit dud. Myself and MP both about about $400 left and there was $400 in the pot already. I hadn't seen him in many hands, and generally the tabler was solid, there was no donators. What is your move and why?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Party 600 NL AK hand

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry i don't have the hand history so this is from memory. I have AK off on the button and there are 6 limpers to me. I raise the $6 blind to $30 and five of us see the flop of

As Qc 5s

It checked around to me and i bet $140 into a pot of about $153. I got one caller late middle position. The turn was an off suit dud. Myself and MP both about about $400 left and there was $400 in the pot already. I hadn't seen him in many hands, and generally the tabler was solid, there was no donators. What is your move and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the turn card?

Did he lead into you or check?

Do you have the Ks?
Old 03-14-2005, 06:11 PM

I bet $200. Lets him know you have a piece of this and it likely will cost him all his money to finish the hand. So, I would guess he folds most of the time. If he is on the flush draw he will likely call the turn and river with this bet. If he comes over the top of you then you can think about laying it down without loosing all your money.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:37 PM

With that many limpers I would raise more Preflop, probably to 45 or 50, I dont want to play AK in a big field.

I dont really see that many hands that you beat here. I would try to get to showdown very cheaply. I would put villain on 55, AK, AQ most likely. Solid players wont call a pot-sized bet with only a flush draw.

If villain checks the turn I think you should check behind here.

Sly

PS. I dont play at these stakes though.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:43 PM

Sorry i forgot to mention that it was checked to me on the turn. The two hands that have me worried are AQ and 55, as i can see them both being played this way. I retrospect i think the pre-flop raise should have been a little more. The tough thing here that villian has checked twice, which can be either a draw or a monster. Something like 10-J or J-k of spades seemed possible, but then again so does AQ or 55. I don'l like betting 200, because i think if he pushes you have to call getting 5:1. The question is do i want to get away from the hand or not?
Old 03-14-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry i forgot to mention that it was checked to me on the turn. The two hands that have me worried are AQ and 55, as i can see them both being played this way. I retrospect i think the pre-flop raise should have been a little more. The tough thing here that villian has checked twice, which can be either a draw or a monster. Something like 10-J or J-k of spades seemed possible, but then again so does AQ or 55. I don'l like betting 200, because i think if he pushes you have to call getting 5:1. The question is do i want to get away from the hand or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on your range of hands for Villain - which is why I asked if you had the K spades - makes it less likely that he is on a flush draw.

I think I check behind on the turn since any "flush-draw charging" bet pot commits you.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:06 PM

I would definitely check behind. As another poster mentioned, charging a draw is too expensive, and I think that if he does have a draw its a combo flush/gutshot. JsTs, or KsJs.

Other than that the only possibilities I see are still 55, AQ and AK.

Sly
Old 03-14-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry i don't have the hand history so this is from memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know that Party saves all HH's to your hard drive, right?

-DB
Old 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM

So opponent could have AQ, 55, KJs, JTs, KQs, what about KTs? You are about a 3:1 dog to have the best hand and you won't win any more money when you do so checking looks right to me.

So do you check the turn and then fold if opponent moves in on any river? Doesn't look like you have enough odds to call hoping to catch a bluff unless the river is an ace or a 5 and your opponent would bet a busted draw every time.
Are you sure your opponent can't have AJ or something? I don't play these limits so I wouldn't know.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:58 AM

I think once in a while someone could have AJ here, but that wasn't my read. As i combed though the villian's range of hands, i thought that shoving would be best to charge him for a draw and not give him a chance to take me off the best hand. In retrospect, given that actionm i think an argument can be formulated for check folding. The villian called me with AQ, but a river K bailed me out.