Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 04:20 PM

Default ATo, another river play

CO was a LAG that didn't even make it an entire orbit at the table. UTG+1 has only been around for a couple of orbits, seems loose passive, but doesn't like to give up if he has any part of the board. The table is generally loose.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, UTG+1 calls.

Hoping for a bet from UTG+1 to raise, here, but didn't get it. Second best was a bet from CO, so I C/R'd and managed to fold out one guy.

Turn: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, UTG+1 calls.

No straights, no flushes, hoping that both Villans will fold to the C/R followed by the lead-out.

River: (8 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero ?

Ok, no flush, an unlikely straight, and I've got top pair with a moderate kicker. Like I said, UTG+1 sticks around with any piece of the board, but he's also passive so his betting out on the river makes me think he's got a good piece. I'm not folding, do I call or raise and hope he's bluffing/semi-bluffing?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: ATo, another river play

You really need to bet the flop there. Noone raised pf, and it's not guaranteed anyone would bet that flop. Bet it.

As for the river, raise if you hate money. This is one of those cases where only a better hand will call and a worse hand will fold. You're therefore losing money by raising. I'd just call here but be prepared to be shown some miracle 2 pair (J9?)
Old 05-05-2005, 04:30 PM

some people differ on the preflop play, so i'm not sure exactly, but ATo is a raise/fold hand from UTG+2 IMHO....but i could be wrong.

bet the flop. no aggression was shown preflop and you probably have the best hand.

anyhooo, the river, rare is the player who bluffs on the river. raising isn't going to fold him, so just call and take notes [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 04:45 PM

Bet out the flop. You have top pair with a moderate kicker. Looking at how it played out with the C/R on the flop, the reason UTG+1 bet on the river is because he thinks you have a busted flush draw. If you had bet out of the flop initially, it probably would've played out differently.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:55 PM

I think that if you want to play AT UTG+2 you have to raise (I'd fold it myself) - you'd like to play it against only a few people.

You have to bet that flop - if UTG+1 is LP he's not going to bet that flop obviously. The hand plays a lot easier if you bet out.

Nice lead on the turn.

Just call the river bet - this is a spot where you're probably behind, but you'd like overcalls (especially weak aces) to throw their dead money in, just in case UTG+1 is an idiot. Fold to a raise behind you. UTG+1 shows you Q10/J9 3/4 of the time here (but doesn't know how to check-raise).
Old 05-05-2005, 05:10 PM

I'd fold pre-flop personally. Lead the flop, call the river, kick the cat.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:39 PM

I would fold pre-flop.

Bet the flop. If there was a raise from an appropriate position pre flop, going for a check raise to protect your hand works more often.

Bet the turn.

Call the river. Probably beat, but I think you have to call 9 BBs.