Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 04:59 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Jerk of the Day

[ QUOTE ]
I always show when somebody asks. I'm not upset that he asked to see another person's cards. I'm always upset when a person is an unprovoked jerk towards a person who has treated him with respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

Many in this thread are taking the 'information' angle on it. Which I don't agree with.

b
Old 12-09-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody saying the rule is legal needs to read about and understand why the rules exists.

[/ QUOTE ]
Read about this where? Nobody really knows the origins or this rule. I would assume that it was invented just out of a philosophical notion that a "showdown" involves showing down all the hands, so you are entitled to see them all if you really want to. There are a lot of other popular theories, but I've never see any solid evidence for any of them being the true origin. The "collusion detection" mentioned in the thread is particularly silly since this rule doesn't even make sense to be used that way since if you are colluding to build the pot, you would just always have the guy without the real hand fold for the last bet and the rule then doesn't let you see his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, if it's a pattern, someone could ask the floor to see the hand w/o showing the players.

b
Old 12-09-2005, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody saying the rule is legal needs to read about and understand why the rules exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, in all the cardrooms they should go up to the rules posted on the wall and see the 1 sentence describing it:

Any player at the table can ask to see a hand at showdown.

I mean, c'mon, you're expecting the average player that barely reads an article other than the fluff pieces in a magazine, if that, to go in depth to find out the alleged(see bobbyi's response) true spirit of the rule? pfffft. Think about it. You're really worried about this player?

As long as it isn't holding up the game, big deal.

b
Old 12-09-2005, 03:19 PM

I am not worried about the jackass asking to see the cards. I am worried that out of humiliation the donkeys will be afraid to go to showdown with garbage.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:41 PM

There are indeed two things wrong with asking to see cards. First of all it's dickish. And secondly it is indeed bad for the game.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:54 PM

I recommend reading this series of articles from Bob Ciaffone regarding the IWTSTH showdown rule. His observations were similar yet differed from the commonly held opinion here at 2+2, its the most insightful article on the subject that I have read so far.
Article

Although I generally agree with Bob, the villain that Andy experianced was a total ass.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all it's dickish. And secondly it is indeed bad for the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. In my opinion, "it's bad for the game" is a much more compelling argument for getting the rule changed than "the rule is only intended to stop collusion". I think people who want this rule eliminated would be more successful if they pushed the first argument and dropped the second which just confuses the issue.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:23 PM

Like Bernie told me once, "Always be prepared to show your hand."

If someone wants to see it, then so be it. It is not that big a deal. The people who win pots and want to see other people's hands usually think they are better than they are and are getting a "read" on how the other guy plays (unless they truly believe there may have been collusion). I have yet to see someone actually use the information in any sort of profitable way.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:00 PM

So what did the guy have?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:58 AM

Q-8. A-8 outkicked him.