Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: A7soooooted. play along?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was extremely marginal, if good at all, to call the 3-bet. Given that UTG called, I figured the pot would get huge. I wasn't thinking about the cap.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (21.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero ...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you fold preflop. Best case you have 5 outs against KK/QQ.

Worst case you flop top pair in a ginormous pot, but you have 2 outs.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why you fold preflop. Best case you have 5 outs against KK/QQ.

Worst case you flop top pair in a ginormous pot, but you have 2 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to figure out how bad the preflop actually is. Best result for the call is what happened in this hand. Everyone comes along and MP3 doesn't cap. I'm getting 13.5:2 immediate odds. Assume MP3 and CO will always call, or MP3 will cap and CO will fold, so we can automatically count 2 extra SB in the pot. 15.5:2, which is slightly less than the 16:2 needed to flop a flush draw. Adding in the rare cases of two pair, trips, backdoor flushes, boats, and quads, I think this is a pretty even overlay to call. Without a cap, I would only have to make up 0.5BB postflop, which is all but guaranteed in a pot this huge.

If I can expect at least one more player to call, then this puts my call into the profitable range. Furthermore, because so many bets are going in preflop, I can expect to get paid on my big hands, thereby increasing my implied odds for the call.

If UTG had folded, I could see myself folding this most of the time. However, her money in the pot makes it close, and increases the likelihood of another player coming along for the ride.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:00 PM

Flop: (21.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (13.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero ...
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The game was actually very loose passive (something like 38/5), and A7s is much better than A2s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that, I am inclined to play Axs from anywhere, just unfortunate that you're getting 3-bet in this hand - the hazards of playing Axs from EP.

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 raises, CO calls, 2 folds, BB 3-bets, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (21.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7 players)
BB bets, UTG calls, Hero ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you call. MP3 didn't cap, so he might just have a big A. BB's 3 bet could be AK. If that's true, you might be ahead and hoping for an A to fall on the turn. If a rag falls on the turn, grit your teeth and raise a BB lead in an effort to protect your lowly pair of 7's. If you get reraised, you're behind and only call bets on the river if you improve. Of course, running clubs for the backdoor flush would be the dream scenario, but watch out if the board pairs and broadway cards appear.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:38 PM

I call. If you manage to suck out, you'll win a HUGE pot.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:45 PM

I raise to make it unprofitable for 3 outers (AK, AQ) to call this.(they still will, they just won't know that they are not getting the right odds.)
Plus, some weak overs can fold too.
Yes, I raise.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 PM

I call the flop and raise any non-paint turn.

Raising here does nothing to protect your hand, as the pot is offering almost 13-1. It worked out this time, but you gotta protect your hand somehow in this huge pot.

Bet the turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:38 PM

Bet the turn. Is this close?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:08 PM

umm this hand sucks the whole way through.

fold pf - the 1st time around, not sure if you got that. once its 3 bet I would probably have to call, but a cap SUCKS. Notice that there is a UTG caller, meaning your A7 has a good chance of domination. If there was no caller I might be more inclined to call.. but even still. like A9 there is okay I think. I know there isn't a huge difference but its big enough.

umm Ref. SSHE pf quiz for that call - Ed Miller does it! so do I.. lol

on the flop I call and I raise any under turn.. the 9.. well.. I see there are 14 bets in the pot.. a bet doesn't do much for you.. I think I call this one down probably. let people think their A-Big is good when their A hits.

and if its bet before you on the turn auto-raise / fold to a 3-bet
Old 12-19-2005, 04:20 PM

I'm not quite getting the preflop hositility. I don't think limping A7s so early should be a default, but there are most definetly low limit tables where doing so is totally fine. The 2/4 game at the Flamingo would be a good example. In any event, it really depends on the table, not on a rigid application of SSHE. So if the OP's read was such that the table was like 6-7 to the flop almost never for a raise, yeah it's ok.

Same thing with calling two back. 13:2 immediate odds, we're probably looking at something between 19:2 and I dunno, 19:3 (say MP caps and you lose a couple limpers). If we flop a flush draw or two pair/trips, etc, we should be able to take the table for a lot of bets. Yeah, we hit some second bests but we aren't going crazy with top pair. In any event, I don't know how to quantify it exactly, it MAY be wrong, but I can't see it being wrong by much if it is, and I really think you should show a profit calling two back here.