Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Slow play gone bad

Last weekend I was playing in a $50 private NLHE tourny with about 60 people. With about 40 left, I had just doubled up with Aces to the lone fish at the table. A few hands later I get dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The fish (UTG) limps in, MP2 (TAG) raises (2x BB) and I just call.

It's a three way pot.

The flop comes: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I have the nut flush draw.
Fishy bets out again. MP2 again raises slightly. I smooth call my draw. I can't remember the pot size, but I was getting correct pot odds to call (well over 5-1).

The turn is another diamond. I have my nut flush. Fishy bets out again. This time MP2 just smooth calls (he sees the obvious flush scare).

Instead of raising, I just smooth call, hopeing to trap them both on the river.

Of course the river is the second Queen and I'm terrified that I've lost to a full house. MP2 goes all-in and even though I'm pretty sure I'm beat, I'm pot committed and I call. Sure enough, he shows his 8s full of queens.

The question is, should I have pushed all-in on the turn? The fish would have called me with his pocket jacks and the TAG MP2 might have folded. He later told me he probably would have.

Any thoughts?

MM
Old 12-12-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Slow play gone bad

why would he lie to you? sure he would fold his set to you. even if he knew you hit the flush, he would have prayed for the miracle pairing of the board on the river.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:24 PM

A true fish will not lay it down. He'll hit "call" and think, pleasedonthaveaflushpleasedonthaveaflushpleasedont haveaflush
pleasedonthaveaflushpleasedonthaveaflushpleasedont haveaflush
pleasedonthaveaflushpleasedonthaveaflushpleasedont haveaflush
pleasedonthaveaflushpleasedonthaveaflushpleasedont haveaflushpleasedonthaveaflushpleasedonthaveaflush ...
and then suckout on you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Which, actually, if you know he'll call a push, you should definitely push, because you are a huge favorite.

-Gross
Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 PM

Yeah, I'm kicking myself still for not pushing. That way I would have gotten all my money in with the best hand at the time. 3/4 of my chip stack was in the pot, so a lay down at the end was pretty much out of the question. I was hoping for a worse flush.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:08 PM

Exactly.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:03 PM

I think regardless even if you had pushed all in on the turn fishy would have called you. With a set of 8's he was probably nutting in his pants already. Even if he saw the flush possibility, he was going to call no matter what. If he lost he was going to tell all his friends another bad beat story. Atleast you didn't lose by going all in, then fishy calls you, then you see the miracle queen on the river and your hopes are down the gutter. Atleast you already knew your fate when you saw the board pairing up.