Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: 10/20 not much of a hand against LAG

I don't check ALL hands with outs anymore (I got obsessed with it for a while), I tend to bet the ones with more showdown value, and check the ones where I don't care if I have to fold the river.

Wow this seems completely backwards to me. Surely you want to check the ones where you have showdown value because it induces a bluff so often whereas bet the ones where if you get checkraised, it's much more likely you're behind so folding the river is much more likely to be correct?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Results

Desperation donk turned out to be Q6o and MHIG.
And i'm still undecided on the turn against an opponent with a huge hand range and probably pretty big check raise range too. I don't think it's a huge mistake either way though.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: 10/20 not much of a hand against LAG

that is a good point. kind of two things at work here. I'll use a board of Qs 6s 2d, and JTs versus AKs as an example:

if he is capable of folding the turn but also capable of bluffing the river (AKA a solid player), then I would be more inclined to bet the JTs I think, to let him fold if thats what he wants to do, and I don't care if I get raised even on a semibluff as I can fold the river UI with no shame. with the AKs I can induce a bluff, so if I had to pick one to check it'd be that one.

against a player who will surely call the turn, either

a) he will not bluff the river: in that case, I would want to bet the AKs and check the JTs, because I can protect the AK against what is probably a fairly wide calling range on the flop, and I can set up a free showdown. I would still consider checking the AKs on boards where it's way more likely that he's hit, as I'll still get my free showdown versus this opponent often enough. but if I had to bet one it would be AK, to set up the free showdown in the cases I'm still ahead. with JTs, I can check and fold UI with absolute certainty my hand is beaten.

b) he will bluff the river sometimes. I'm less likely to bet my AK in this situation, because the free showdown aspect is gone, but I still get some protection if he's a loosey. if I have enough of a bead on him to make the right amount of UI river calls, then I like betting more. wth the JTs in this case, I really am not protecting anything, and gotta check it because I can't call the river UI, so betting the turn doesnt really get me much.

someone tell me if this is way off