Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Default 2/4 Absolute, couple hands against a LAG

Villain is 78/28/1.7 through 61 hands, he sees a lot of showdowns. My main read was that if he's checked to, he almost always bets. I've seen him raise with draws, and once, absolutely nothing.

I felt completely lost playing against this guy. Should I be seeing showdowns in these hands?

Poster (CO) checks, and I raise on the Button with AJo.
Villain (SB) calls, BB calls, poster folds.

Flop comes: 8c 4c Kd
Villain bets, BB folds, I call

I think this flop call was okay. I'm getting 8-1 and I estimate myself to have 5 outs (3 pair outs--I'm not so sure he has a king, 1.5 backdoor flush outs, and maybe .5 a backdoor straight out). Also I guess I could be ahead here some small percentage of the time.

Turn: Jd
Villain bets, Hero calls

Should I just fold here? I decided to see a showdown since the villain was pretty laggy and didn't necessarily have a King.

River: 9s
Villain bets, Hero calls.

should I fold?

The next hand is even uglier, I have J5o in the BB. The game is now 3-handed.

Villain on the button calls, SB completes, I check in the BB with J5o.

Flop: Ks 8s 3h
checked around

Turn:5c
SB checks, I bet, Villain calls, SB folds

Is this even worth betting? I didn't think the Villain had anything that beat me, or he would have bet before.

River: 6d

I bet, Villain raises, I call (???).

A 6 is about the best card I could ask for on the river. I decided to bet again. I think I should have bet/folded? I didn't want to check since the villain would bet there 100%. Once he raises I make a horrible call. Although is it really that bad if I've seen the villain make bluff raises HU with absolutely nothing?

Also when I bet the turn, what do I do if a high overcard hits on the river?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Absolute, couple hands against a LAG

Hand 1 raise the turn. He'll call you down with any pair. At no point in this hand should the though of folding ever cross your mind.

Hand 2 I probably check/call the river. I'm not sure where I'm at and I'd want to give him a chance to try and bluff. I doubt you beat any hand he calls you with on the river, so just check and call. As you played it, I pay it off.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:44 AM

In #1 I'd raise the river for value (I'm generally calling down with Ace high). In #2 I wouldn't bet the river but I think, given this board, I'd fold to his raise.

Rob
Old 12-06-2005, 11:46 AM

hand 1: flop call is ev+. turn needs a raise. if he 3 bets then assume he has a king or better and do the math

hand 2: if this is the same villian then I'd just check fold the turn, since, you already said he'll always bet when it's checked to him. That he didn't bet this time could indicate top pair or better
Old 12-06-2005, 11:48 AM

hand 1: I'm too lazy to do the math, but if we have to fold to a turn 3 bet then we should definitely wait 'til the river.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:58 AM

In hand 2 Would you check/fold the river? or check/call?

Also jt1, I think you make a really good point about hand 2, his check is pretty suspicious. I'm a little disappointed that didn't even occur to me.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:48 PM

hand 1 - If you think he has a king you'd probably fold(Your getting what 8:1 to call? Meh marginal, I'd fold if i have villan on a king for sure.

Turn - Well if you think villan is on a king fold, if you think he's not then raise it.

River - bet, or umm probably call a donk.

hand 2 - Well he puts you on an 8 or weak king. If i hold any 8 with reasonable kicker i'd call you down and bet into any checks you make.

The way you played it, i dont think you should bet the turn.

Calling river - Well depends on pot size,its around 6.5BB to call right? Bleh, i think you got to fold... i dont see you winning it enough to make it neutral let alone profitable to call.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:03 PM

hand 1: I agree about raising the turn
hand 2: I think I prefer c/c the river, as oppose to bet/fold. Sounds like this guy is capable of river bluffing.

But the main point you should get by now is that these hands are worth pursuing against this type of opponent.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

hand 2: I think I prefer c/c the river, as oppose to bet/fold. Sounds like this guy is capable of river bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Potentially, but as the river is a 6 he may hold 6X and raise.

On the other hand he may of played a king like a goofball and be raising it on the river.

because King, 6, 8 beat us i don't know if i want to call the river bet.

I didn't provide a river line - On this hand i'd most likly checked the turn though and folded the river.

Or id of bet the turn, then C/C the river (Bluffs, Potentially losing, pot is getting larger).
Old 12-06-2005, 02:35 PM

This player sounds like opposite guy. When he's got a hand, (top pair is a hand for this guy no matter the board dynamics), then he slowplays and waits for the river. When he's got nothing then he's betting the whole way. Which means you can safely raise the river in hand 1 and you can check-call or check-fold the river in hand 2. If it's opposite guy, of course.