Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 09:05 PM

Default 5/10: Weird KJo on the Button

No solid reads but the two limpers are loose PF and the villain in the BB is laggy.

I'm not sure about PF. Raising seems weird, since it's not really an iso-raise, but I can't imagine calling being great.

Not so sure about the flop bet either. I wanted to fold out some hands to increase my chances of winning...perhaps a check is better? What does everyone think?

I was planning on folding the river if a heart fell.

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (9.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.70 BB.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: 5/10: Weird KJo on the Button

I wouldn't bet this flop. Hearts aren't going anywhere, you don't really have to worry about folding better hands, you have to fear a checkraise. Take a free card.

I think the turn calldown is fine given the size of the pot and your hand. Sure it smells like a poorly player flush, but sometimes it'll be worse hand.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:24 AM

I agree with not betting the flop, but I would definitely raise the turn, but fold to a 3-bet. You are against a single [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] much more often than a flopped flush, so make them pay while you can. Fold to a river [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] unless your read dictates otherwise.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't bet this flop. Hearts aren't going anywhere, you don't really have to worry about folding better hands, you have to fear a checkraise. Take a free card.

I think the turn calldown is fine given the size of the pot and your hand. Sure it smells like a poorly player flush, but sometimes it'll be worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt it worth betting to get those A,Q and maybe lower pairs out?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:56 AM

Even if it was worth it, I don't think a lower pair is folding very often, nor a hand with an A in it. This is a wasted continuation bet on a low suited flop like this. If he had the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], it'd be fine.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:53 AM

yeah i can see checking the flop thru works here. wait till turn and see wazzuuuuuuup
Old 12-17-2005, 03:05 AM

:Grunch:

The only thing I'm conflicted on is the preflop raise. I think I might just check. Everything else looks pretty standard.

Edited to add: I think at least the second preflop limper would be on par with our hand. I guess raising would give us the momentum, but I can't see us being much ahead hand-wise.

Having raised preflop, I think betting the flop helps us maintain control of the hand. I would bet the flop with the intention of bet/folding the turn UI.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:08 AM

Looking back at prior replies, one can see why I try not to contribute too much. Yet.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:19 AM

You raised a decent hand and completely missed the flop. Check behind and hope for a miracle.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:48 AM

I'm checking behind this flop everytime and hoping for the J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the turn.

Since you did bet the turn the rest looks good.