Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-29-2005, 09:55 PM

Default How to find a summer internship?

I'm sure a lot of you guys have done this in the past. I'm looking for a summer internship in the field of biochemistry. That includes biomed, chemistry, drug companies, etc. I will be looking at my school's career/job office when I get back to school, but I was wondering if you have any insight for how to find one. Are there good websites? I've tried a couple google searches and the results have been mediocre. Or good agencies to contact?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: How to find a summer internship?

What area(s) are you looking at?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:13 PM

MonsterTrak
Old 12-29-2005, 10:22 PM

As you're at Northwestern, be sure to look up jobs on CareerCat and sign up for the Northwestern portion of MonsterTrak. Most of those jobs will be consulting and financial related, but a few biotech firms will probably slip in there. Next, use the normal MonsterTrak as suggested above. I would check with your department too as I remember a lot of the technical type majors offered some assistance in finding internships/jobs. Next, go with the major job search engines out there...Yahoo Hot Jobs, Monster, etc. Lastly, try to think of various companies that you might like to work for (or do a google search to find them) and go to their websites. Most of them will have a job opportunities section in them.

Overall, send out your resume to as many places as possible, and listen for opportunities that friends might know about.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:40 PM

I'll be home in seattle for the summer. I have unlimted free use of my parents car, so a commute is perfectly acceptable.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:14 AM

Unfortunately, to get an internship, you pretty much have to know somebody (atleast that is how it is by me).
Old 12-30-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure a lot of you guys have done this in the past. I'm looking for a summer internship in the field of biochemistry. That includes biomed, chemistry, drug companies, etc. I will be looking at my school's career/job office when I get back to school, but I was wondering if you have any insight for how to find one. Are there good websites? I've tried a couple google searches and the results have been mediocre. Or good agencies to contact?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look through the University and talk to as many bio/chem professors as possible. I guarantee you they've heard from students like you before so they might know something.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be home in seattle for the summer. I have unlimted free use of my parents car, so a commute is perfectly acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh [censored], well, that might be harder. The only thing I can recommend is busting your ass and talking to a lot of people in the field around the city, pref. in university areas. Get connections.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:53 AM

I came out of the biotech field and was looking for an internship between my junior and senior year. I submitted a resume to a ton of companies but had no results.

I was home for a weekend about 3-4 weeks before summer vacation and hand delivered my resume to a few places. This seemed to work as the next week I was called with an internship for a Micro Array developer. Of course the biotech corridor in MD might be easier that Seattle.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:27 AM

I don't know how the biochemisty field works, but accounting interbships for this summer have already been interviewed for and accepted.

I think the career center is your best bet to find out how it works in your particular field.