Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2005, 03:09 AM

Default PP 33r: Am I being results-oriented?

180 left and bubble is 50. Blinds 75/150, I have ~T4000 and Villain has me covered by about 1k. Dealt TT in MP, folded to me and I raise to 400, only to be called by the Villain in the BB. I might a somewhat loose table image, as I have gotten some decent hands and been raising frequently this last orbit.

Flop 832, suits unimportant.

Pot is 1200, I fire 900, he calls.

Turn is an 8

I have about 2700 and the pot is 3100. I bet 2300ish, Villain pushes... I call, he has K8, I'm busted.

So what I'm wondering is...

Should I have checked the turn to induce a bluff from a weaker hand and lose less with a hand such as his?

Should I have bet less on the turn when that card hit, or pushed all in if I was going to call anyways?

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: PP 33r: Am I being results-oriented?

[ QUOTE ]
2700 and the pot is 3100. I bet 2300ish

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get how you concluded to bet 2300 leaving 400 behind.

But on the turn i think a check-call is best, there aren't a lot of draws out there, so i think villain is likely to have a pair or better at this point, and a push will probably fold out a lot of the ones we beat, ,but a check will probably get them to bet (like 55-77, 99)
Old 12-26-2005, 03:22 AM

To add to what Exitonly said (which I agree with 100%) you need to make sure that before you check you completely understand the reason. You are inducing a push from a hand you are ahead of. That means when you check and he pushes you call. You can't all of a sudden wuss out and fold. Given that you've been pretty aggressive I think you're ahead of his range and it's tough luck he had an 8.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:50 AM

I'd push the turn. With your loose image you should get called by a wide range of hands that you are way ahead of including 2 overs. Villain's probably calling you with a 2 or a 3 and expecting you to bet the turn aswell (because that's what he did with the eight). I can't imagine villain folding a smaller pair to the push given your loose image.

Checking the turn is of course wrong because you limit the amount you can win, and probably won't deter villain from putting you all-in when you are behind on such a safe board.

I'm curious if villain made an EV+ call against you with k8? It's a pretty loose call, mid tourney, so he must be expecting to get paid if he hits a card (the eight in particular)(he must have you on a really wide range)
Old 12-26-2005, 04:30 AM

you expect to get called by two overs with a push? What maniacs are you playing with?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:00 AM

Forgive me, I just don't understand the post. 75/150 is the first level after rebuys, I don't think you true image is established just yet. The pot is 400+75+400 = 875, where does 1200 come from?

As far as the hand goes, I would increase the pre-flop raise to 450-500 with a hand like TT. I don't like much multi-way action with a hand like TT, unless I hit a set. After the flop I would bet 1/2 the pot, which does several things for me
-induces a raise from top pair
-gives me a chance to get away from the hand on later streets
-allows me to save chips in the future for my continuation bets

in your situation, it would be hard for me not go bust, unless I know my villian very well.