Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-21-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Tricky pair against a good TAG

Villain is a good TAG who usually plays higher than this. I'm not sure he knows anything about me but I recognize his name and have watched him play before. He's aggressive and thinking and definitely plays a tough game.

3-handed 10/20. Button folds. Villain raises. I call in the BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

The flop is 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He bets and I call.

The turn is the 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He bets, I raise, and he calls.

The river is the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He checks, I bet. He checkraises.

I think for a few seconds and call.

Icky?

Rob
Old 12-21-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Tricky pair against a good TAG

why not just fold the flop? This is the kind of board he will always fire again on the turn, so even if you think your Qx is ahead or something, it seems too expensive to find out. Or am I being weak tight again? (I dont play much 3 handed)

I dont think a naked ace checkraises this river a lot, so either he hit 2 pair or is bluffing something like K3 or a busted draw. Which seems pretty brave given most people never fold a pair HU, and he prolly knows nothing about you so doesnt know if you are capable of folding. Even worse the pot is big enough hes gotta assume youll call any pair here. So it makes me even more likely to believe him. Still the pot is big and aggresive people do aggresive things and I definitaly wanna know what his hand is here, so I call.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:26 PM

Well it certainly looks icky, but the pot's so big that I don't think it can be tooo terrible to look him up here. Run of the mill 10/20 TAG I'd say it's bad for sure, but the info that he regularily plays higher makes me think that bluffing the ace on the river might be within the realm of 10:1 possibilities.

B.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 PM

I'd let this go on the flop. However, on the river, I would be calling his c/r. My thinking is that he thinks you raised the turn to get him off a hand (all junk board), so in his mind you've got nothing. Now he c/r the river to get you to bluff one more time and fold to his c/r. I call him here and think we're good a good portion of the time.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:43 PM

doubt he has air. He either had mid pair or an Ace. HIs play is pretty consistent with an ace, you could be raising the turn light, so he'd call with AK-A9 or if he hit his kicker on the flop...anyway I dont think he can value bet the river. Its possible he could though because you might call a perentage of the time to stop bluffs, but you are value betting pairs on the river or checking behind with draws (if he bets and u have a draw, there is no value in the bet)...so Id probably fold to the c/r unless I know him to be tricky here.

Anyway, Id fold. If you actually ended up good here, make a note and move on.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:47 PM

I think you'll see a 6 trying to push your off a better hand here enough to call.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:11 PM

Well played.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you'll see a 6 trying to push your off a better hand here enough to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would just check-call a 6 after every draw misses.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 PM

I have kind of a preliminary question, though I'm not sure it's important for the river decision:

Based on the way you played the hand, wouldn't villain suspect that you made a pair on the flop, and probably didn't improve on the turn or river?

If so (a big IF), maybe villain would c/r that river without an Ace or even a higher pair.