Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-12-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Party $20/40 General Questions / Observations

Alright, so I tried taking a shot at this game full-time and promptly got shut down in about 10 hours (4,000 hands) with a 100 BB downswing. Whatever, variance sucks, I'm a big boy and can handle it. I'll just wait until January to try again and keep playing one or two tables of it when the game looks good.

Just some observations and questions/comments I had.

- First of all how in the hell do you datamine this game? Partymine keeps giving me full tables which I don't want to import since I'm filtering PokerAce for 4-6 handed anyways. I had limited sucess with opening 6 tables in addition to the 4 I was playing and just manually swapping them in and out as they gained/lost players. This was good as I had stats from 10 tables going while I was playing, but still couldn't get anything while not at the computer. I need to come up with a remedy for this before I try this game again so I am better prepared.

- There are so few tables running at this limit short-handed. During peak hours, there are maybe 6-8 4-6 handed games tops going on. Table selection is pretty hard if you are playing 4 tables. Are you guys playing this game doing $30/60 and $20/40 mixed in with some $10/20 when the games really aren't that great? Seems to me like that really is the only way to do it.

- I call down too much against TAG players when they do things like check/raise the turn when I'm holding mid pair good kicker. I also dislike playing a handful of very good players. It reminds me of when I played on Absolute. Oh well, life is a bitch.

- I've forgotten what it's like to play 4 and even *gasp* 2 tables. I definitely have to do it more often as it really helped me to think about hands in ways I haven't gotten to in a long time. I played most hands the same way, but there were a few I noticed I've obviously ben misplaying for a while, though. I need to remind myself to do this at least for one or two days a month.

- Along with there being a lack of games, this game almost seems unplayable during the morning and early afternoon hours. There is in no way enough fish to fill up the 4 tables I want to play at this time.

- To compensate for the lack of short-handed tables, do you guys just play some full-ring games as well? I was really trying not to unless I had good position on a big fish, because I just don't think the full ring games at this level are all that profitable (at least compared to the short games).

All-in-all, I felt good about the shot I took even if it didn't work out. I was pretty comfortable with my game and that I was making at least 1BB/100 long-term there, but unfortunately 100 BB just isn't enough to sustain a lot of the variance. I did feel slightly inadequate against a few of the TAGs, but I went back and looked at some of the hands and realized my mistakes.

In short, take shots, they are good for you even if they don't work out. Also, this game is going to be harder than my limited past with it had led me to believe.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Party $20/40 General Questions / Observations

People who don't take shots will never move up.

As for the Party 20 game, I think what I did (and this worked very well for me) is I just opened the 5 or 6 shortest tables and sat at them. The players at those games are always really bad once it becomes 5-6 handed and usually are equally bad HU/3 handed.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:47 PM

just a thought RE: datamining

create a separate PT database while you are mining, then export all hands with 3-7 people, import into your actual db? pain in the ass but I don't see an alternative
Old 12-12-2005, 09:56 PM

I think this is an area where I kind of screwed up. I kept getting up when it got 3-handed or less against other TAGs despite the fact I've played a ton of HU and 3-handed against good players and I very likely have an edge over them in a super short game.

I've decided I've been content with the 10/20 for too long and if I want to get my goal of 30/60 with a roll of 60k, I need to get out of the 10/20 and start taking more shots. My plan for taking shots is much more aggressive now.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:03 PM

hey metetron do you mind if I ask how many hands of 5/10 and 10/20 you have played?

(curiousity)
Old 12-12-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey metetron do you mind if I ask how many hands of 5/10 and 10/20 you have played?

(curiousity)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have all my databases anymore (especially of $5/10), but I think I had like 200k hands at $10/20. Probably a little less at 5/10.

Edit: Not that you asked but I think I have around 30-40k combined hands of random times I played $15/30, $20/40, and $30/60.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 PM

i hate that games never stay short very long. ive basically given up on playing sh above 10/20. i still sit at the short ones but i dont leave when they inevitably fill in 5 minutes.

edit to add that i feel the same way as metetron that my game has become pretty stagnant grinding away 10/20. similarly every time i move up i get pimpslapped back.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:14 PM

Ive always wondered why they dont have 6max above 15/30...anybody know why? seems like a pretty lame policy.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 AM

Why are the 15/30 6-max games so rarely discussed? Is it just because there are so few of them, or are they just so bad it's not worth it?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:07 AM

those games are good sometimes.