Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 12:35 AM

Default $2/$5 PL with $20 button straddle - KK

I have K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Villain in this hand has $3.5K and I cover. Villain started out playing very, very tight, but has loosened up slightly since building his stack. He's still probably the tightest person at the table.

I'm straddling on the button for $20. Villain limps for $20 from EP, one other limper, blinds come in, I pot raise $120 more...Villain is the only caller. I've raised from my button straddle probably 5 of the last 10 times.

Flop $360 - A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I bet $200, Villain instantly check-raises to $600, I ???
Old 12-09-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: $2/$5 PL with $20 button straddle - KK

fold, uh, duh.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:41 AM

"The tightest player at the table" is not limping in early position and then check-raising a worse hand simply because you raise your straddle often. He is not waiting for a chance to steal your $320. He is looking for a chance to get you to put more and more money in the pot when he has a huge hand. FOLD.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold, uh, duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he's beating me, why would he check-raise?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold, uh, duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, did you flash your cards at him or something? why cant he think you have AK?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold, uh, duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because he wants you to give him $200 instead of folding whatever slightly above average hand he has reason to believe you hold.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"The tightest player at the table" is not limping in early position and then check-raising a worse hand simply because you raise your straddle often. He is not waiting for a chance to steal your $320. He is looking for a chance to get you to put more and more money in the pot when he has a huge hand. FOLD.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, this is good stuff. the thing that bugged me about the hand was the check-raise. it seems like a bad way to play a hand that beats me. also, the way the check-raise was made, it looked like he was planning on check-raising regardless of what i bet.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:12 AM

To continue with my flip comments, but add slightly more content this time...

if check-raising seems like a "bad" way to play a hand that beats yours...and you call because it seems "bad," wouldn't that make it a great way to play any hand that beats yours given that your opponent is playing against you?

And checkraising, from the tightest player, normally means they have a huge hand, have no idea what you have, and refuse to let you draw for the board possibilities.

If he is checkraising flops with midpair, then you may want to revise your read...
Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, this is good stuff. the thing that bugged me about the hand was the check-raise. it seems like a bad way to play a hand that beats me. also, the way the check-raise was made, it looked like he was planning on check-raising regardless of what i bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you bet then?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys have $3500 behind. He can't stack you unless he starts building a pot postflop, and one way to do that is through check/raising, which is a dynamite way to make pots bigger.

P.S. Fold quickly, and if you want say, "oh, you caught me stealing."