Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 11:55 PM

Default The one thing that I can\'t control

In the past few months, I have been exploring the emotional side of poker. What I have found has been quite enlightening. It has been well documented on this forum, that I have had several horrible runs in my career despite showing a decent amount of profit. Last month was the first month that I posted losing results. Most of my losses were due to bad game selection for the bankroll that I had (nlhe 6 max ). When I returned to sngs to build back what I had lost, I went into a horrible run of cards......or so I thought. After reviewing my play, there was indeed some bad variance early in the downswing, but most of it was due to bad play. I have come to realize that most major downswings in poker are usually initiated by a few bad cards, the rest tends to be tilt (tilt takes on many forms, but we will save that for another essay.)

I have since corrected my play, and have turned things around. But, there are days in which I find myself playing my B, C and even D game. While I have finally figured out how to identify how I'm playing, I haven't figured if there is some sort of way that I can control how I'm playing. Furthermore, if there isn't any way to play my A game everyday, is there a way to be on top of my game more days than others?.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: The one thing that I can\'t control

I have a MTT addiction, and it seems that after I go on a MTT splurge, the same things happen! Realize, then actualize [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Damn, sorry about the Tony Robbins [censored], that sounded cheezy. On a serious side though, once you realize what you're problems are, you can actively work to combat them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, if there isn't any way to play my A game everyday, is there a way to be on top of my game more days than others?.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I can suggest is to realize that poker is your job. Playing poorly means money out of your pocket. Bad calls, not focusing, FPS, whatever your D game is, it's costing you money. I know that you hate the buyin that you're currently playing, and not playing well is only going to keep you there longer.

Poker isn't putting a hammer to a nail. You've got to make sure you're sharp when you sit down to play, otherwise you're just another donator, and you know that you're better than that.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a MTT addiction, and it seems that after I go on a MTT splurge, the same things happen! Realize, then actualize [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Damn, sorry about the Tony Robbins [censored], that sounded cheezy. On a serious side though, once you realize what you're problems are, you can actively work to combat them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, kinda yeah. For the most part, when I am playing badly, I am playing too loosely (i.e. shoving A2o from hijack into a loose bb.) This is something that is easily correctable for me. The thing that I don't get is that some days there are times where I have a tremendous feel for all things going on at all 8 of my tables. I know who is doing what and how they will respond to what I do. I know when I am beat, I know when I am behind but will be able to get an opponent to fold, I know when my opponent is weak, but will probably bluff at a pot. On days like this I know when to make resteals, I know when I can call with ace high and my hand will be good. The problem is, that I am like this maybe only 45-50% of the days that I play. The other days everything is almost kind of hazy. I will make resteals and solid calls only to run into the nuts because my brain has seen me make these types of plays when I have had that "feel" and trys to replicate them without the "feel" (if this is something that you are unable to imagine check out Blair Rodman's explanation of laying down his set of 7s in the mtt forum on his day one trip report.) Is there a way that all of you out there who know what I am refering to condition yourself to play with that feel more often than not or even everytime that you sit down at a table?

Perhaps this would be better suited in the Psychology forum, but you are my boys.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:40 AM

Brutally honest self assessment would be very beneficial here. There is obviously something different about the way you are interacting with your environment, and recognizing this before you play could help your overall results. I don't feel you are just being results oriented, so finding other clues to help you determine whether you're totally in the game and focused will help your overall ROI. If you play continuously, maybe playing in sets and taking 20-30 minutes at the beginning of the day analyzing your play in that set may give you clues to not only how you're playing on that particular day, but things that separate when you are playing with the feel and when you're not. And remember, it's not just poker. Everything going on in your life (stress, joy, etc) will affect how you play. Try developing a routine that will clear your head, get you going, and focus (sports, exercise, yoga, whatever). Give it a try, it may work. If not, you can come back and tell me I'm full of [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 12-08-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And remember, it's not just poker. Everything going on in your life (stress, joy, etc) will affect how you play

[/ QUOTE ]

Bones and I just came to a conclusion that

[ QUOTE ]
Try developing a routine that will clear your head, get you going, and focus (sports, exercise, yoga, whatever)

[/ QUOTE ]

may be the problem. I have always been physically active in my life. I am currently the most inactive that I have ever been (besides freshman year in the dorms.) I really need to get back into the gym.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:08 AM

Hey Beef, nice post.

I don't have any words of wisdom, but I will second the analysis in your OP. I had my first significant drop moving up in early October. I've been around long enough to know that it was hardly worth mentioning, but painful all the same to a part-timing 2-tabler...24buyins.

Anyway, while stuck in the [painful] moment, I was oblivious to what was happening. It's hard to describe that fog you are operating in when the going gets tough. Despite being a rational thinker (questionable), to me, it is just about impossible to pull yourself above high enough to see clearly enough to put your finger on the problem. More toublesome is that until I hit that mystical bottom (defined individually of course), I wasn't even aware I was operating under this condition.

Having reached my "'nough already" point, I spent a great deal of time going over hand history. And just like you pointed out, a handful of horrendous misfortunes indeed started the ball rolling. I wasn't a half-dozen drops in until my game took a subtle swing - where subtle is all it takes to push you in the wrong direction.

With confidence doing a nose-dive, having suffered one too many beats to brush them aside, I was completely off the game plan. The first poison added to the mix was the loss of aggression, "because I KNOW you'll suck out on me!". Followed close behind was calling for all my chips too much. Partly "because I KNOW you have [censored]!" But at the same time because doing so is an easier decision (it's no secret, considering hands that 'lessor' players call with regularly). Not to mention the necessity, having lost the chip gathering ability of my own aggression - or lack of.

Sharing this wisdom with a buy-in drop sample size of ONE - whatever that is worth. But when considering the common 'negative varience lasts longer than postive varience' rule of thumb, it is certainly indicative of a change in ones play. The "play through it" advice might work (assuming the advice seaker has the roll), because EVENTUALLY you stumble out of the fog. But for me personally, it took stepping away, not going back until I had rationalized the cause (to my own satisfaction anyway).
Old 12-08-2005, 02:22 AM

THIS is why we all love Blue. Or should at least. This post gets my seal of approval, and I encourage everyone to reread it and bookmark it.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
THIS is why we all love Blue. Or should at least. This post gets my seal of approval, and I encourage everyone to reread it and bookmark it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, seriously...both of my big downswings were me doing those exact things. Its a subtle change...np Blue, your my boy!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:11 PM

This will sound odd and I'll get berated (fire away).

Play a different game for a couple of days. Load up Omaha H/L, play Stud ring games, etc. This is one way to "step away" from your bad habits and will force you to use a different poker muscle.

When you do return to SNG's, you should have a different understanding of the game and perhaps a new enthusiasm for it.

Good luck Beefie! Slacker