Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 12-01-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Poker on Resume....the real reason for asking

I've read threads where people are asking if putting poker on their resume is a good idea. This is my take on why people ask that question......tell me if you think I'm right or wrong.

I think it is obvious that putting poker on the resume is a bad idea......but poker players have big egos when it comes to poker especially if you are a winner....so by asking if one should put poker on a resume is another way of showing off. You are fantasizing in ur head that ur sitting in front of the interviewer and he says "you play poker too?? so do I" and then you can excitedly elaborate on how much u've won or start talking shop with the guy and teach him strategy and he'll think ur so smart. I am not trying to put someone down for asking such a question, bc I dream of that scenario too. As a matter of fact, when I am at work, I deal with patients and anytime I detect that the pateint may be interested in gambling I kind of prod to see if they play poker. I am hoping they play too and we can discuss winnings/strategy. My ego takes over and I can't stop myself.
Asking if putting poker on a resume is like when a murderer brags about a murder......he knows he shouldn't but he can't help it bc he is so proud.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Poker on Resume....the real reason for asking

Dude, you have no idea.

You are totally wrong (about me anyway). The inevitable question is going to be asked; what have you been doing in the 6 months since you lost your last job?

My answer in the interview is that I have survived by living some I had saved. If he asks, I'll be honest on where it came from.

Ego has nothing to do with it. If I cared about impressing a bunch of strangers I'd post under my real name.

If I wanted to show off there are more effective ways of doing it... like maybe a brag post or 10?

It's apparent that you are probably not satisfied with your poker prowess and have a jealousy complex about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Asking if putting poker on a resume is like when a murderer brags about a murder......he knows he shouldn't but he can't help it bc he is so proud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I am proud that I have had to use my second job as my first job for the past six months. You have no idea how difficult it is to make enough money to live from poker alone. All the while having no retirement plan, no sick benefits, no health insurance and no real way to grow my bankroll without playing 60 hours a week.

It works 10 times better as a supplemental income. Trust me.

I am done.

PG
Old 12-01-2005, 04:56 PM

not true, in my case at least. i'm pretty modest about how well i do. ppl generally start with just "are u up (or down depending on their preception of poker)?" i modestly say i'm a winning player. if they ask again then i'll give them a rough number. i play low stakes compared to most ppl on this site, but its still a good number for the stakes i play and for it being one of my hobbies while in college.

as i said in the other thread. logical problems solving is a useful skill for engineering. i put it on my resume becuase it displays that skill.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:40 PM

you should probably delete that murderer line if you still can.... its going to get jumped on pretty hard i think.

unless you really think that is a good analogy... in which case.... woah [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 06:04 PM

maybe a little extreme....
my point is that sometimes u r proud of something and it leaks out even though u know u shouldn't broadcast it.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ego has nothing to do with it. If I cared about impressing a bunch of strangers I'd post under my real name.

[/ QUOTE ] This line confused me. Is PG someone we would all know? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] This line confused me. Is PG someone we would all know? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha no I am not famous, nor do I want to be, that was the point.

I can see where you would take it like you did. I should have worded that better.

PG
Old 12-01-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Shhhh. He's been out of work a while and has to live on his wife's income. luckily, she was elected to congress
Old 12-01-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
luckily, she was elected to congress

[/ QUOTE ]

Not luckily for me... I keep hearing these reports on the fox news channel of her coercing young interns for oral sex.

The money's good though.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 PM

If you are applying to Susquehanna trading near the burbs of Philly it is +EV, otherwise forget it.