Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 11:32 AM

Default 2/5NL live - QQ reraised preflop

i'm in MP with around $550 and the relevant players have me covered. a couple limpers and i raise to $35, wild action guy next to me calls, quiet guy reraises to $135, all fold back to me.

i haven't seen much from quiet guy, but i have seen him voluntarily play some offsuit connectors and suited garbage, so he's not really all that tight.

i call the $100, wild action guy calls

flop (~$415) - 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

i check, wild action guy checks, quiet guy bets $200, i check-raise push for $415 total

i felt like i was ahead...quiet guy's play didn't feel like AA/KK to me. wild action guy could have anything though.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: 2/5NL live - QQ reraised preflop

Well, it's definitely push or fold becuase you will be all-in on the turn. You read is you are ahead of quiet guy so push seems fine. Hopefully WAG throws some dead money in.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:39 AM

Not sure what kind of advice you're expecting here, but if a quiet guy reraises me preflop and then bets on a ragged flop, i would probably expect to see an overpair here enough to not risk my whole stack.

However, it is your read that matters, not mine, so push or fold
Old 12-01-2005, 11:47 AM

I going to have to agree with everyone else that it is a push or fold situation and if feel your read was right you should go with it. You've said that quite guy has been playing crap, but has he been agressive with air? I think this is much more important than him playing trash because just looking at the action I think you're behind.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure what kind of advice you're expecting here, but if a quiet guy reraises me preflop and then bets on a ragged flop, i would probably expect to see an overpair here enough to not risk my whole stack.

However, it is your read that matters, not mine, so push or fold

[/ QUOTE ]

so would you check/fold the flop?

something else...these guys all just came from a tournament that was going on. those tournament guys have different standards and i don't think they adjust to the cash games well.

i need an alternate line. folding preflop to the reraise sucks. open pushing the flop sucks, any other bet and i'm puking if he pushes...i think check/folding is incredibly weak when his hand range is a wider than just AA or KK. if he has AK and WAG has nothing, then i take a good sized pot. if he has QQ we chop. if he has TT or JJ i think he calls (he IS a tournament guy).
Old 12-01-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i need an alternate line. folding preflop to the reraise sucks. open pushing the flop sucks, any other bet and i'm puking if he pushes...i think check/folding is incredibly weak

[/ QUOTE ]

Your only other options are all-in pre-flop or the way you played it. I can't see how calling the flop makes any sense here unless you think a push scares WAG where a call will commit him to the pot.

I really like your line here. The check-raise all-in on the flop is powerful and since your stack is going in anyway if you want to proceed then I think it is your best option.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:00 PM

Like I said, on the flop, I'd push or fold..its completely dependent on my reads. But check/fold is definitely an option for me.

I've done it with KK in this identical spot, so I'm sure I could do it with QQ. I know it seems weak, but you're probably WA/WB here, and I hate those situations, and I'd be willing to give up some money to save my stack.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:03 PM

Why do you need an alternate line? Your line is fine as is given your descriptions of the players. If he actually had AA/KK this time, oh well, but this line lets you make money from all his worse hands that would've folded had you led out. The only real danger is if he doesn't continuation bet AK.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, on the flop, I'd push or fold..

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying open push the flop? or check-push, like i did?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you need an alternate line? Your line is fine as is given your descriptions of the players. If he actually had AA/KK this time, oh well, but this line lets you make money from all his worse hands that would've folded had you led out. The only real danger is if he doesn't continuation bet AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i think my line is fine too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] what i meant was that if people are saying that my line is read dependant and risky, then they should propose alternates.