Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: What is your sixth street play?

Funny hand.. I count 24 cards accounted for. If the villian doesnt have the full house already that makes 26 cards

52-26= 26 cards left with 2 outs thats 1 in 13. Although hes not getting proper odds, hes getting close to it if you take into account that he'll get atleast 1BB if not 2BB from each of you. Also, if there is a chance he has 3 pair you'd definitely want to raise. So you probably should raise here. Also you get the same amount of money from the smaller straight if he calls you down, with no chance of getting outdrawn.

You a basically dealing with a situation where your opponents are going to both make mistakes if you just call, but not all mistakes at created equal. 2 pair drawing to a full house is a small mistake, drawing dead is a big mistake. Therefore you have to raise here to try to get the bigger of the mistake.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:53 AM

There are 28 cards left. If he is on a 4 card draw, the pot odds against him are 6 to 1. If he is on a 2 card draw, the odds are 13 to 1. If you raise, you change the money odds to 9 1/2 to 1 from 8 1/2 to 1. Whether you raise or not, his pot odds are insufficient with the 2 card draw & sufficient with the 4 card draw.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:08 AM

Benwood,

Just think about it this way, if you call and the 2 pair calls, he is making a small mistake, probably costing himself around .2BB-.3BB per call. If you raise, the 2 pair folds, and the smaller straight calls, hes drawing dead so he makes a full big bet mistake. Which mistake is a bigger mistake? Clearly the call from the smaller straight. Also, you will never get outdrawn by going heads up against him, so your profit goes up and your standard deviation goes down.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:08 AM

It occurs to me that when you telegraph the fact with your raise that you can beat the small straight, seat 4 may lay down his 4 card draw with his 3 pair hand,putting you on a full house & think he is drawing dead, Yes. Now I like the raise best. Thank you for your analysis. Good hand. Ben
Old 11-13-2005, 12:39 PM

Just to add a little intrigue here - no one has correctly put seat 5 on his actual hand yet [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to add a little intrigue here - no one has correctly put seat 5 on his actual hand yet [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A23 of hearts.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:17 PM

Interesting. Then perhaps he is rolled then, since I don't see any other 4's out there. And if that is the case, then there is another 5 left for the other person and the trips have a shot to take down your straight.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:38 PM

am i the only person here that doesn't understand the 5th street bet?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:18 PM

Default RESULT

So I ended up raising on sixth and both opponents called. It was checked to me on the river - I bet. Seat 4 folded and seat 5 called with 8's and 4's [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 07:47 PM

Haven't read the results yet. Interesting. I don't like the bet on fifth street. This appears to be a very loose game, so you're not going to get everyone to fold. As of fifth street, you have seen 21 cards. Six of the remaining 31 cards will give you a straight, about 4:1 against. If you thought everyone would call, and that your straight would be good almost every time, you'd have a bet for value. That's quite a parlay, though. I don't think you'll get everyone to fold or everyone to call, so I think you're best off taking the free card.

On sixth, I think you have to raise. Clearly, you have the bettor beaten. It's possible that the third man is full, but

1 a Trey is gone and and it's fairly likely that a Five is gone as well and
2) he's checked.

There's enough money out there that it's worth protecting your hand with a raise. If he three-bets, you can probably safely fold.