Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: A few weeks left, who are your BCS Teams?

[ QUOTE ]
WLVRYN,

Great post, but I'm a little confused to see the Big 12 in 2nd in 2 of those lists...Does Texas' greatness this year make up for the 11 other [censored] teams?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually pretty shocked when someone pointed these out to me since I thought it was a down year for the Big 10. I think where most of this comes from is the conferences' orevall records against non-conference teams, not just the fact that there is a great team in the conference (USC, Texas). The Big 10 was something like 45-6 non-conference, with 4 of the losses coming against teams that were/are ranked. I also think that what made the rankings better for them was that every Big 10 team was 2-1 or 3-0 in its non-conference schedule, and the Big 12 only had 1 team that was 1-2 or worse (Oklahoma). I am a little surprised that the Pac-10 is above the SEC since they have two teams with 1-2 or worse records (vs 1 in the SEC), so maybe it has something to do with strength of schedule.

Of course you could always fall back on the "We'll see how our conference does in the Bowl Games" argument, but even then, you're taking a very small sample size of games and against teams from varying conferences. I think in order to truly determine who the better conference is, you'd need a Big 10/ACC challenge type matchup similar to college basketball.

Just a personal opinion though, after watching the LSU-Alabama game this afternoon, I'm pretty sure that neither of those teams would be able to win the Big 10 with their offenses. They play great D, but almost every team in the Big 10 has an explosive offense that can put up points, and neither team would be good enough defensively week in and week out to make up for their paltry offensive production.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a kool-aid drinking Michigan alum, there is still a chance for Michigan to make the BCS as the Big 10 champ. We need some help (we win out, PSU loses to MSU next week and Iowa beats Wisc today) and the way this season has gone, its unlikely, but as Lloyd Christmas says "so you're saying I've got a chance!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Halfway home boys, thanks to Iowa. We need a shocker in East Lansing and to get past the Suckeyes next week, and we'll be dancing the in BCS. Maybe we can get a shot at Notre Dame again.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He didnt help win all those championships at the patriots with offense

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-12-2005, 10:35 PM

Texas wins it all.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:40 PM

Oregon and ASU would wipe Ole Miss/Mississippi State. Are you kidding me?

And it's Texas vs. SC for the title, and I agree that Texas might be a bit better.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:11 AM

USC and Texas in the Rose. LSU from the SEC, The U from the ACC, PSU from the Big Ten and what the hell is the Big East?

Being a west coast guy, I would love to see Oregon get an at large bid, but I don't see it happening. ND will get one if they are in the top 12 at the end of the season, and it looks like Va Tech will end up in the top 6 when all is said and done.

So it looks like Texas v USC in Pasadena (with USC in a rout). I should have gone to the game today in Berkeley but decided not to. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ND v Miami in the Orange. PSU v Big East Champ in Tempe and LSU v Va Tech in the Sugar.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This just proves you're an idiot. Idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever helps you sleep at night, Junior.

Looks like LSU vs. UGA (by default) for the SEC, before yesterday I would have picked UGA to win with Shockley healthy, but after that horrid performance on defense, who knows. Of course, either of them will kill USF.

And Texas to win it all.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:29 AM

Well, that suddenly becomes a lot simpler.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember another thread about this, but basically, this is it how it breaks down:
Pac 10 - USC
Big 10 - Penn State
ACC - Miami
Big 12 - Texas
Big East - West Virginia/South Florida
SEC - LSU/Alabama/Auburn/Georgia/Florida

Random spots:
OSU/Alabama/Notre Dame/Oregon/Texas Tech/Virginia Tech

[/ QUOTE ]
LSU or Georgia wins SEC, loser is way out of contention for a BCS bid. Miami loses to GT, and they give up their spot to Va Tech.

TTU loses, Bama loses twice, and it comes down to this, IMHO:

Pac 10 - USC
Big 10 - Penn State
ACC - Virginia Tech
Big 12 - Texas
Big East - West Virginia/South Florida (South Florida has better than 50/50 chance, as West Virginia has to come to South Florida)
SEC - LSU/Georgia (probably LSU)
Outside bids:
OSU/Notre Dame/Oregon
Big Ten's toughest conference in country, by far, OSU lost to Texas and Penn State, #2 and #3 team in team in the country, IMHO. Oregon's the best 1 loss team left that doesn't already have a bid. And Notre Dame has prestige going for it.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:01 AM

Rose: USC-Texas
Fiesta: Notre Dame-Ohio State
Orange: Penn St-Va. Tech
Sugar: LSU-WVU

I bought Orange Bowl tickets last night to see PSU, so I'm hoping the above is correct (barring USC or Texas loss [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 11-20-2005, 10:56 AM

I don't think OSU should get an at large bid. If LSU loses to GA, they should still get in, if not, it should go to Oregon. ND is in.

This is obviously what I think *should* happen, not what I think will happen. The BCS is a joke regardless.