Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Question from a Mid-High Stakes Limit Player

Full time player who plays 20/40, 30/60, and the occasional 40/80 limit.

I play almost exclusively short handed and beat the games at a reasonable rate.

However, I also play a lot of NL MTT and do quite well, examples including having cashed in a NL World Series event (short handed), won a Party Super, among other respectable tournament cashes.

Basically, I have begun to wonder if I should be playing NL cash games instead of limit. I'm not a complete novice at NL cash, but just found easy money at limit and stuck with it.

However, as I have been doing this for over a year now, and certainly view poker as a job, my thoughts have turned to NL cash games which seem to have exploded in numbers.

There is probably no "right" answer, or advice, but I thought I would start with these thoughts since its late and I'm still awake.

Perhaps my question(s) concern the ease of a winning limit player who understands NL tournaments to win at NL cash.

And if so, what level does someone with my limit/tournament background begin with, assuming bankroll is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

-SC
Old 11-08-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Question from a Mid-High Stakes Limit Player

your NL MTT success doesn't tell much about your skill as NL cash game player, the two are very different.

it won't be an easy transition, but sure try it out. it's always good to learn other types of poker and should be a nice change of pace from limit games time to time.

You can always start out at 5/10nl if roll isn't an issue, but I think it may be better to learn the fundemental NL concepts from .5/1nl to begin with and move up at a quick pace. perhaps you can find someone that wants to try limit and teach each other. (Actually I would be interested so PM me)
Old 11-08-2005, 04:51 AM

I didn't mean to imply that I thought NL MTT and NL cash were the same thing. Instead, I sought to demonstrate that I understand some of the key concepts to NL in general, and have been able to apply them at a high level.

Furthermore, it has been my observation that many top NL MTT players also succeed in NL cash games (Zee Justin is the easiest example).
Old 11-08-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to imply that I thought NL MTT and NL cash were the same thing. Instead, I sought to demonstrate that I understand some of the key concepts to NL in general, and have been able to apply them at a high level.

Furthermore, it has been my observation that many top NL MTT players also succeed in NL cash games (Zee Justin is the easiest example).

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they could also succeed, but his point is NL MTT success is basicly the opposite skills as a NL cash game success. You have to learn some of the fundamentals but a lot of stuff you will pick up quick if you have this other poker experience. Just don't get cocky at whatever stake you play even if you begin with a good streak of cards. Post hands and question yourself.