Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Live Hand

Live 20/40 game. Very loose aggro dude opens from 3 off the button. He's raising maybe 50% of the time though he could have any two here if he feels like it. He donks frequently with or without a piece/draw and if he does have a piece/draw he will often go up to 4 bets on the flop with it. He has also seemingly learned to balance this by fastplaying his big hands. Strange thing about him though is he actually folds the river too much. He will go to war with another laggy player with A-high or a PP only to fold it face up on the river if a couple scary cards hit. He can also make these types of folds on the turn sometimes. I know he folded a flush draw once for 2 turn bets in a pretty big pot because he "didn't think it was coming that time".

Next a nerdy and very excitable young TAG guy 3-bets from HJ. He is too tight and passive preflop (though he still has a reasonably wide range here because he knows how crazy the lag is). Postflop he is very predictable because he literally stands up and flips his chips in bocce style with both hands when he has something good. If he has a weaker hand or a tough decision he sits there and thinks for 10 seconds before acting.

I cap right behind them from CO with ThTc. BB who is loose preflop and weak/passive postflop calls 3 cold and we go to a flop 4-handed for 16.25 sb's.

Flop is 9d5d3d. BB checks, lag donks, tag stands, shouts "I raise" defiantly and flings 8 chips onto the table. First I consider folding, then 3-betting, then I decide to just call. BB folds and the lag calls. His call makes the Ad all but impossible along with a 9, an overpair, or a decent pair+diamond draw as he would 3-bet all of these. I think a weak pair or diamond is most likely for him.

Turn is an offsuit 5. Lag checks, tag bets, I raise. The lag agonizes for a little while then folds. Milliseconds later the tag guy has is jumping up and shouting "3 bets!", and milliseconds after that I am folding.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Live Hand

Is this a brag post? You couldn't have played this any better given your reads I don't always like raising the turn and folding to a 3-bet, but this is as good a spot for it as any.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:04 AM

What would I be bragging about? I think both the flop play and turn fold are debatable. In the future please refrain from posting stupid and pointless replies. I'd prefer to get none. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:45 AM

This line looks fine. PF is standard against this lineup. This looks like you are behind a boat or flush a lot. Judging by his exited 3-bet I'd say boat is more likely. A small overpair to the board is virtually never good. Do you fold to the 3-bet with the Td?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This line looks fine. PF is standard against this lineup. This looks like you are behind a boat or flush a lot. Judging by his exited 3-bet I'd say boat is more likely. A small overpair to the board is virtually never good. Do you fold to the 3-bet with the Td?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably would 3-bet the flop with the Td, but if for some reason I didn't, I guess I should fold the turn still since I would still have the same number of outs against his perceived range (99 or big overpair with diamond). However this would leave a lot less room for error with my read, so maybe it would deserve some extra contemplation.

Something I didn't really think about until after the hand was the prospect of calling the turn just to improve. I'm getting 16 to 1 after his 3-bet and I'm pretty sure I will get 4 bets out of him if he has 99, especially if the Td hits. This isn't quite enough but throw in that I actually have 4 outs when facing a made flush (which seems quite plausible) and it gets a lot closer. This also raises the possibility of just calling the turn since I don't really want to raise and fold to a 3-bet but it's too expensive to raise and call one down.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:25 PM

I would consider folding preflop, but if you think the TAG's range is wide enough I think 3-betting is fine. I would definitely fold the flop. This "too tight and too passive preflop" and "very predictable postflop" guy just went into his end zone dance even though you capped it preflop. I think the best possible scenario is that he has the other two tens, but I think you are almost always behind and especially in light of the fact that the LAG loves to 3-bet, if you are in fact behind then calling or raising can't be correct.

Cartman