Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-27-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Stud n00b seeks help with boat on 5th

Is there something in this hand that tells you experienced players to slow down? Stupid me thought cap, cap, cap was the right way to play a boat on 5th street with trips showing, but...

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High - Level III (50/100), Ante 10, Bring-In 15 (converter)

Seat 1: 1,638
Seat 2: 2,190
Seat 3: 898
Seat 4: 4,070
Seat 5: 842
Seat 6: 774
Hero: 2,288

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls

4th Street - (13.70 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

5th Street - (14.85 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (16.85 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

River - (24.85 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___raises___raises
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

Total pot: (32.85 BB)

Results:
Total pot 3285

Seat 2: [Ks 7s 7h Kh 8d Kc Qd] (a full house, Kings full of Sevens)

Hero: [9h 9d Js Jh Jd Th 5c] (a full house, Jacks full of Nines)
Old 10-27-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Stud n00b seeks help with boat on 5th

You made jacks full, a very very good hand. The problem was, the three Js are open. When you get raised you have to look at the other board. Can Js full be beaten? If he has no pair showing, or straight flush possible, then keep raising. Here it was possible he had Ks full or quads. Now think about your board, showing JJJ. What does he think you have? He probably thinks you have Js full, and his raise tell you you are probably beat. It is possible he is going crazy with three Ks, or has a smaller full house, so calling is OK, but dont be surprised if you lose. Raising over and over, unless you are against a total nut, was the wrong play.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:06 AM

Well, his play isn't exactly standard here either... these tournaments can be pretty crazy loose.

However, he is raising against your paired J and then raising when he catches another K. That makes it very clear that he must have jacks full beat on 6th, either with K's full or quad K's. Your bet out is obvious with the 3 J's; his raise indicates that he can beat trip J's; your re-raise says "I have the boat"; his cap says "I've got the boat beat." This makes check/calling the river obvious.

But given that he capped on 4th, I would probably bet/call 6th and check/call 7th. It sucks doing that with a boat, but it happens. Unless you know he is a total maniac, you have to credit him for something more than just a pair on 4th.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:09 PM

Check-call the river here, he's made it pretty clear that he has kings full, unless he's a total maniac. He is, however, a total donkey for calling on 5th -- he's drawing to 2 frickin' outs. Keep playing with this guy.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:26 PM

Did you have a read on this guy? If not, you should definitely fold on 3rd. Semi-dead 9s facing an early position completion… uh oh.
Even if knew he was this loose-aggressive, you probably should have folded, especially since this is a tourney and because the queen has already called. Wait for a better spot.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you have a read on this guy? If not, you should definitely fold on 3rd. Semi-dead 9s facing an early position completion… uh oh.
Even if knew he was this loose-aggressive, you probably should have folded, especially since this is a tourney and because the queen has already called. Wait for a better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no read on him... I've never played with him before and had just been moved to that table about three hands before.

Can anyone recommend a good book on low-limit and/or tourney stud? I'm getting the feeling I need to take a few weeks to improve my game.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:00 AM

There aren't any books specifically on tournament stud, and I find the low-limit books on the market wanting. I recommend 7CS4AP and Sklansky's tournament book.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:09 AM

Third street is a fold. It doesn't seem very likely that the other guy is raising with a pair of Sevens, especially with all of those unduplicated over-cards out there. He's probably got a big pair in the hole, almost certainly bigger than Nines. One of your Nines is gone, which is a significant drawback. Save your chips.

Jamming fourth is OK, but you should be a little concerned about the other guy doing the raising. Your Jacks are out there for the world to see, but he still likes his hand. The only hands that actually make sense is are two pair and trips, so you should be behind.

Yes, bet your full house on fifth, but when the other guy raises, it looks really bad. What did you think he was raising with? I'd call this down, but I wouldn't like it.