Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Changes in the game

The game is getting more and more agressive. Constant continuation bets, bets anytime a hand is checked, and so forth.

Any suggestions on how to adjust? I have noticed I am getting tighter and tighter and I am not sure this is a good thing.

A year ago my see flop % was in the low 30's, now it is in the low 20's. I just dont want to get involved in hands as much as I used to because the agression is so much higher, it is harder to draw, all of that. I know I am missing out on money by this... anyone have general suggestions for a low limit player on how to adjust?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Changes in the game

Play poker?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Arg hehe I suppose... have you noticed the game is more and more agressive all the time? Like in the past year it has changed a lot or is this just in my head?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:34 PM

be willing to make calls without the nuts.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:34 PM

Aggresion rules. Flop sets get more money, get more value out of TPTK
Old 10-20-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Arg hehe I suppose... have you noticed the game is more and more agressive all the time? Like in the past year it has changed a lot or is this just in my head?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only been playing 6 months, can't help you there.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:39 PM

Limit has definately become more aggressive. I think NL is about the same, but that the aggros know what they're doing a little better. I remember at Party, I used to catch about a fish a day comming over the top of my pf raise with a push-bluff. Or, if I had the nuts, I could just throw down my stack and be pretty sure someone would call. It's not like that anymore.

I do think that the increased stack sizes lead to more aggression on the river, however. Back when they had a 50 BB buy-in, you could easily get all your chips in by the turn. But now, you can bet the pot on every street and still have half a stack in front of you. This leads people to make big river bets to try to steal.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:43 PM

Also, If you're having trouble dealing with aggression, why not play a smaller stack? That way, you can get all-in with your top pair on the flop, and when that third spade comes on the river and your opponent pushes, you don't have to worry about whether he has it or he's bluffing.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:08 PM

Ya I am having some troubles but will say this ... I would rather be at an agressive table that will pay you off when you do make a hand rather than one that is full of folders. One of the biggest problems I got with this increased agression is that it takes the fun out in that I dont mess with a lot of hands that I used to. I think part of my answer might be paying more attention to positon so I dont put myself in situations... the damn button is so small I would like to make it neon orange so I know where it is without searching for it.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:14 PM

So you were SLA before, and you're TA now. If you're good at hand reading you can certainly go back to laggier play as long as your b/r can take the variance of that decision. A good lag is way tougher than a "solid" TAG to play against. I suggest moving down one limit so your bankroll is more than enough, and experiment.

I remember playing you at micro limits Limit Hold'em btw.