Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-04-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Stars Turbo $55 - Call for pot odds?

Or will it leave me too crippled?

25 ante - the cutoff's raise was all-in:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter

Hero (t1635)
UTG (t2125)
MP (t1770)
CO (t680)
Button (t4410)
SB (t2880)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t655</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero ???.

For those that don't like adding, there's 1105 in the pot and it's 455 more for me to call. My stack is 1410 while I'm thinking.

Now that I think about it, this is an ICM question more than anything (though ICM won't take into account significant gained or lost fold equity), but what does your intuition tell you? CO seems like he knows what he's doing - he's certainly ahead, but doesn't necessarily have two overcards.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Stars Turbo $55 - Call for pot odds?

using shorthand...
youre getting 3:1 from the pot and youre probably a 2:1 dog preflop, if you call. (though you could be as good as 3:2 or as bad as 4:1)

in that sense, its justified. but this isnt a cash game. not only are you probably going to double up a shortstack, you're losing (as you pointed out) a substantial amount of your FE.

for those reasons and some more, its ok to fold.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:47 PM

This depends when the blinds go up. When they go up, they double and your 1400 will be the minimum anyone will fold to. If they don't go up for a while, this is kind of a freeroll (since any steal is all-in anyway) and it's a huge pot to be won if you get lucky and you can very likely rebuild your stack by stealing with the 1000 you have left.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:52 PM

It's a Turbo - they're always going up. Let's assume I get the 100 SB next hand, then the BB will be 400 next time it hits me.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
using shorthand...
youre getting 3:1 from the pot and youre probably a 2:1 dog preflop, if you call. (though you could be as good as 3:2 or as bad as 4:1)

in that sense, its justified. but this isnt a cash game. not only are you probably going to double up a shortstack, you're losing (as you pointed out) a substantial amount of your FE.

for those reasons and some more, its ok to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree because of a few things.
1. Hero has the pot odds to call and there are many people still alive in the game it's not like he's in danger of bubbling.
2. Hero can lose and still be alive to double up and contend, but if hero wins now it can become a large stack and in the process scare off others from pushing against his BB
3. All of this being said i'd probably fold even though I don't think it's the right move [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]