Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-01-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: A Fine Use Of A Firearm

First, I own guns. I enjoy them. I am well-qualified in the proper use/care of firearms. I favor only minimal control of firearms. I favor the strictest enforcement of existing firearms laws.

[ QUOTE ]

..."He came at me with a knife, he cut me on the hand, and on the face, I took 49 stitches total," Dunn told the TV station.

If you kill someone who stabbed you enough to require 49 stitches, then it is called self-defense. In the state of Texas under certain circumstances you can kill someone for trying to steal your property...... I don't think you know the difference between killing and murder....... Murder is a against the law. If you kill someone under a circumstance where the law says you can use lethal force, then it is a justified killing.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you would be qualified to determine this? You are a District Attorney?

Since the victim, a) had escaped the iminent danger; b) run inside to retrieve his weapon; c) returned to the garage to fire said weapon at the criminal; it seems to me a case could be made that he overreacted just a tad.

I can see where a wily, high-priced defense attorney might offer a view whereby his client, the criminal, did in fact become a victim of outrageous, vindictive, pre-meditated, murderous behavior. And that this heinous act should be punished. To the tune of umpteen gazillion dollars. Of which the aforementioned defense attorney will recieve an ample, but well-deserved and earned portion.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The homeowner said the burglar then tried to escape the same way he entered, by crawling underneath the cracked-open garage door, but he couldn't get out.

A frightened Dunn then raced inside and grabbed his .22 caliber rifle.

Quote:

The gun may have saved Danny Dunn's life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to the story.

Still a justified shooting IMO, but you're really getting carried away here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that is at all clear from the story, hence my use of the word "may".

The burglar, upon not being able to get out via the overhead door, did attack Dunn again.

If the burglar could not have gotten out through the garage door, where would the burglar have been forced to go in order to exit? He would quite possibly have had to exit by going through the house proper--meaning another encounter with Dun might have been unavoidable.

At any rate, it's a good thing Dunn had that gun.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:18 PM

Nutdawgz,

If the burglar couldn't get out through the overhead door--and apparently he couldn't--he might have been forced to exit through the house, precipitating another encounter with Dunn anyway.

Dunn likely realized this and grabbed his gun to be sure he could defend himself. His going back into the garage was pre-emptive in nature, and at that point the burglar had already extricated himself, and proceeeded to attack Dunn again. Better that Dunn handled it this way (instead of waiting another 30 seconds perhaps) for the burglar to realize the only path of escape was through the house, whereupon he might have come charging through attacking Dunn again and perhaps catching him off guard.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:31 PM

OK, I see your point. However, the victim could have chosen to stay within the safety of his home. He was now armed and able to protect himself. By returning to the garage he was willingly placing himself in a potentially harmful situation.

That's the play I see the defense making. Turning the vic into the guilty party.

In all honesty, real-world scenario, I'd probably have done exactly what the vic did. My reply to "felix" had a purpose.

And now that I look at that last group of words/sentence, I realize I may be accused of highjacking. I apologize.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 03:59 PM

No, and the last time I checked there are people capable of reading laws even if the are not attourneys...

To answer your question classes, concealed carry permit certification, and being a member of the TRA (Texas Rifle Association). All TRA members received copies of the most relevant guns laws. It also includes details of when a non permit holder may take a firearm with him when he travels and other good info..... It is a good org.

I don't know the gun laws of your state. I can only commit on Texas gun laws.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, and the last time I checked there are people capable of reading laws even if the are not attourneys...

To answer your question classes, concealed carry permit certification, and being a member of the TRA (Texas Rifle Association). All TRA members received copies of the most relevant guns laws. It also includes details of when a non permit holder may take a firearm with him when he travels and other good info..... It is a good org.

I don't know the gun laws of your state. I can only commit on Texas gun laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bow to your ability to wade through and thoroughly understand statutes, as they are writ. I've certainly tried. Unsuccessfully, I hasten to add. Hell, I depend on my wife to interpret our assorted insurance policies. Which, I again hastily add, she does a damned fine job of. (I don't think she'll ever read this, but one must keep one's butt covered!)

Got a TRA window or bumper sticker, too, dontcha, I'll just bet. That, coupled with your membership packet and your total understanding of things argued before the Supreme Court, makes you the definitive authority. On 2+2 forums, anyway.

Me: just another dumbass, redneck cracker, Wrangler-jean-Nocona-boot-wearin', tax payin', Ft. Bend, County, Texiss, US Congressional District 22 rezident.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:34 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Even if all that is the case, the hhigh incarceration rate doesn't seem to be doing much to counteract high crime.

What do you think the fundamental cause of all this idiocy as you see it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, it's certainly the fact that our country was populated by you sending all your criminals over here way back in the day. Thanks a lot nicky, look what you've done.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Not So Fine Use of Firearms

Just trying to show another side to the "story."
Old 10-01-2005, 06:32 PM

Wow that put me in a good mood. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He acted courageously, yet with restraint; he effectively thwarted and brought down a dangerous and potentially deadly attacker; and his actions and comments ought to be a deterrent to future potential sumbitches of all stripes and flavors in his neighborhood.

It's a real bitch to be a sumbitch--especially if you meet a Danny Dunn

[/ QUOTE ]

Danny Dunn is a dumbfuk.

I am a gun owner. I think that most gun-control advocates are clueless and have little grasp of reality. I have taken many self-defense courses from professionals (usually law officers). That said, at the risk of repeating myself, Danny is a dumfuk.

First, based on the limited details presented in the story, the correct procedure would be to go into the house, lock the door, get the gun, call 911, and wait. If the "alleged perpetrator" comes through the door, you shoot to kill. You do not play John Wayne and go stalking the bad guy.

Second, you do not use a .22 rifle for home defense. You need to get out of the kiddy pool and get a real gun:

Third, if you are going to do something as stupid as leaving a safe situation to go shoot a bad guy, you don't tell the whole freaking world about it. You especially don't tell the press or the police about it. You lie your ass off and say that you had the gun when you first went out to the garage, and used it while being attacked. By going in the house and coming back with the gun, he used excessive force (he was no longer in immediate danger when he was in the house), and has left himself open to criminal charges and to a civil suit by the alleged perpetrator upon his recovery. I am not making this up. Many criminals have won judgements for things exactly like this.

Dummy Danny may have some luck on his side since this happened in Texas, which has some strange laws about shooting people. On the bad news side, the story says it happened at 6am, which is still daylight at this time of year. My understanding is that in Texas you can shoot people on your property pretty much at will after dark, but the rules are more restrictive during the day.