Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 AM

Default Re: War and relegion

I think that the enemy is motivated by their hatred of capitalism but they also view us as the infidel and have declared a Jihad(holy war) on the infidel. Bush's war motivations aren't really religious. He says that god is behind us and such but he doesn't go as far as Joan of Arc and says "God told me to got to war".
Old 09-22-2005, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He says that god is behind us and such but he doesn't go as far as Joan of Arc and says "God told me to got to war".

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush stopped short of saying "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did." But i think that him saying what side god was on clearly shows a motive.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 AM

I think that his saying god is on our side is just a justification and way of saying my buddy god would agree. But this is inherrent in any war. When the Nazis were slaughtering Jews and trying to conquer the world, the British decided to stop this. And I'm sure they said "I fancy God is with us", but they didn't go to war because of god or religion. Any religious party in a war is going to say that their god supports them, but that doesn't mean that the war is for god.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:18 AM

98% is conservative in my opinion. No doubt we would find something else to fight about if there was no religion though, definitely less though.

Mack
Old 09-22-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also how do u figure the "war on terror" is indirectly caused by religion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be obtuse. Terrorists are motivated by their religious beliefs.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He says that god is behind us and such but he doesn't go as far as Joan of Arc and says "God told me to got to war".

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush stopped short of saying "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did." But i think that him saying what side god was on clearly shows a motive.

[/ QUOTE ]

no war america has been in has been at all motivated by religion on our side of it. We fight for money, power and strategery.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no war america has been in has been at all motivated by religion on our side of it. We fight for money, power and strategery.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes but I inluded when we fight for money, power and strategery under the banner of god when answering the question.

The civil war is a rare case of a war that was not fought under the banner of God. Only if you refer to the 4 reins of popes that endorsed slavery as a cause of the civil war can we say that religion was a casue of the civil war. Which I think would qualify religioin as being a indirect cause of the civil war.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes but I inluded when we fight for money, power and strategery under the banner of god when answering the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever heard of the separation of church and state?

I mean, I know some of these assholes in our government think we should all be the same religion, but technically, according to the constitution, there is no official religion. Therefore, our country doesn't fight wars based on religion.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

The civil war is a rare case of a war that was not fought under the banner of God. Only if you refer to the 4 reins of popes that endorsed slavery as a cause of the civil war can we say that religion was a casue of the civil war. Which I think would qualify religioin as being a indirect cause of the civil war.

[/ QUOTE ]

saying that god is on our side and fighting a war w/ other specific reasoning does not make it a religous war. Not even indirectly. In fact i would say that fighting a war because god is on our side is a huge violation of the constitution.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever heard of the separation of church and state?

I mean, I know some of these assholes in our government think we should all be the same religion, but technically, according to the constitution, there is no official religion. Therefore, our country doesn't fight wars based on religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

u beat me to it [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]