Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Re: 3-way Screwplay?

Why does calling suck? I think 3-betting sucks much more, so often you're HU out of position in this now significantly sized pot with Q-high against a LAG and it's like, wtf is there to do when you know he's going to call or raise with worse hands on the flop and turn.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:44 AM

In this situation I said the guy was "fairly lag". He wasn't maniacal by any means and I actually felt that I had a pretty good handle on his postflop activities when HU. He was more the always bets when checked to type of donk then the crazy bluff raise type of donk.

That said I think calling sucks because 1.)it lets BB in cheap and 2.) forfeits the initiative.

About 1.) It may seem like this isn't much of a problem because the BB is fairly tight but if you look at his numbers he's not THAT tight at 27 vpip and he knows both that Button is bad and that my hand can't be that strong either or I would 3-bet, so I foresee him calling with quite a large number of hands.

About 2.) Even if BB folds after I call, there are so many flops where I will have to simply check and fold if I don't hit a Q or J. I will in fact be made to fold the best hand way way more often this way than from dealing with bluffs after I 3-bet PF. But if I DO 3-bet, all these no man's land pots will be going to me, even if it takes two barrels to get them. He may be a lag but he isn't going to call with JT on an A65r flop.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:17 AM

I'm still a bit concerned about when you bet twice on boards of cards T and he calls both times, but you've persuaded me, I think 3-betting probably is better.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:04 AM

100% agree.

Noway u can coldcall this with a TAG in BB. If BB was real bad I could see a coldcall.

Against someone playing 50% of his hands u will be payed very well all those times u hit a pair and he calls u down with whathever.

And its not like we somehow get more showdownvalue if we only coldcall instead of 3betting. In his eyes we got less showdownvalue which always is a problem.