Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 10:52 AM

Default I get fancy and play bad

long time, no hand. the converter is weird/broken now, eh? anyways, villian in this hand is a pretty big donkey, and the table is very loose and aggro.

5-10 6 max, I'm (2k) in the bb with AhKd. villian (2k), opens for 30 in MP. folded to me and I call.

65 in the pot, and the flop is Ks 4s 5c. I bet 50, villian calls.

turn is 9c. I check, villian bets 120, I make it 400 straight, villian goes and gets a beer, watches a movie then finally calls.

the river is a Ts. there is 965 in the pot and we both have ~1500 left. what's my plan for this card?

--turnipmonster
Old 09-12-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: I get fancy and play bad

I bet half-pot, fold if raised. Most flush-draws call the turn check-raise instantly, so I'm not very afraid of it.

Regardless, you're probably willing to call a half-pot bet, and a worse hand is probably not going to try to bluff you out.. highly unlikely, anyway.

Why not re-raise pre-flop?

Kirk
Old 09-12-2005, 11:02 AM

try a blocking bet of about $400 and probally fold to a raise dependending on my opponet. You really want to see a showdown but can't pay through the nose to do so.

silly

*edit. After thinking about it, against an agressive opponet I kind of like check/call a reasonable bet to induce a bluff here too. It would be pretty hard for villan to put you on a flush here. If I was villan you checked to me on this river and I had a hand that I though was behind. I would very likely make a large bet.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:03 AM

lot of times I reraise pf, but this time I didn't.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:11 AM

what would he bet here that you beat? 67???

While I want to say make a blocking bet, if you throw out 400 and he realizes his KQ or whatever is beat, he might bluff-raise you. If you check however, it lets his KQ get off cheap and he might love the free showdown... and if you check and he bets... what is he calling u with on the turn that would actually bet this river if not some sort of combo draw (including flush draw) or something better than TPTK?

is this flawed thinking do you think? i think c/f might be the answer but it's only because i can't think of what he bets at the end that we beat but he might raise a blocking bet - do you think that's scared poker or what? if you think he can possibly call with a worse hand i'd throw out like 500, but otherwise maybe just check?

i've actually been thinking about this idea a lot, i'd love some feedback - it feels like i'm always getting my blocking bets raised these days...
Old 09-12-2005, 11:19 AM

check folding I think is an extremely viable answer, I definitely considered that. whaddya think about the rest of the hand?

fwiw, at the time I thought my main options were check call, check fold and bet fold in that order. I am also interested in how bad a card ppl think the flush card is for me. at the time I thought it was a very very bad card.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:21 AM

The read OP got on his opponent was that his call on the turn was extremely tenous, so I wouldn't automatically discount the fact that his TPTK is no good. If, however, it's not, the bet on the river gives you a chance to fold out a lot of hands weaker than a flush, but stronger than the TPTK. I don't play 5/10, so I haven't played against a typical 5/10 player, but I seriously don't see a worse hand raising that river trying to bluff it's way out, unless that particular player is known to have the balls of steel, and both the size of basketballs.

Kirk
Old 09-12-2005, 12:22 PM

shouldnt it be badly?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:26 PM

nit.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:28 PM

why didnt you bet the turn? the turn c/r really put you in an awkward/bad river spot. (to be results thinking, of course)