Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: John Cole\'s Idea Of An Over-50 Forum Has Merit

M,

Is it an "over 50 politics forum" or a just plain old "over 50 other topics" forum? The latter makes more sense to me.

Also, the forum membership has gotten so young you may want to make it an "over 40 forum" to broaden it a bit. I can still relate to 40 and I don't think there are too many approaching 60 yrs old around here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 09-04-2005, 03:03 PM

We'll put my silly criticism of this aside for a moment (see my last post in this thread); I'll try to give this a serious response:

Let me preface this buy saying I don't think 2+2 is interested in this (this = the idea I'm about to propose), and I doubt such an idea would ever come to fruition; and I question the wisdom of an "over 50" forum.

Having said all that, it seems like a very good idea to host 2 separate political forums; one forum can maintain the status quo, and remain a place for the partisan free-for-all, name-calling, "OWNED" picture posting type silliness that some of us have come to know (and appreciate).

And another forum can host a moderated, mellow place to relax and shoot the [censored] about politics in a way that won't ruffle too many feathers; I wouldn't recommend membership requirements, but trusted veterans (whoever --- MMMMMM, andyfox, John Cole, adios, etc.) can be given moderating privileges and can regulate the forum in whatever manner they see fit. I wasn't around then, but there seems to be alot of 'those were the days' type nostalgia from some here, and they might appreciate a place where they can relive the good 'ole days before others showed up and ruined their fun.

I’m quite sure it will never happen, but the idea doesn’t sound all that bad to me.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We'll put my silly criticism of this aside for a moment (see my last post in this thread); I'll try to give this a serious response:

Let me preface this buy saying I don't think 2+2 is interested in this (this = the idea I'm about to propose), and I doubt such an idea would ever come to fruition; and I question the wisdom of an "over 50" forum.

Having said all that, it seems like a very good idea to host 2 separate political forums; one forum can maintain the status quo, and remain a place for the partisan free-for-all, name-calling, "OWNED" picture posting type silliness that some of us have come to know (and appreciate).

And another forum can host a moderated, mellow place to relax and shoot the [censored] about politics in a way that won't ruffle too many feathers; I wouldn't recommend membership requirements, but trusted veterans (whoever --- MMMMMM, andyfox, John Cole, adios, etc.) can be given moderating privileges and can regulate the forum in whatever manner they see fit. I wasn't around then, but there seems to be alot of 'those were the days' type nostalgia from some here, and they might appreciate a place where they can relive the good 'ole days before others showed up and ruined their fun.

I’m quite sure it will never happen, but the idea doesn’t sound all that bad to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

.....the idea of 2 forums, moderated & unmoderated is fine with me.

If someone wants to create a moderated 'boys club' where they can comfortably share their opinions, why would anyone object?

I'm more than content with letting water seek its' own level in this regard.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:26 PM

Good points Rick, and yes on both.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While you're creating this over-50 forum can you create a forum for People Who Think Just Like Me? Thanks.

Come on, MMMMMMMMMMMM. This is a message board, not a womb. If you want to participate in a forum where people look up to you and your ideas aren't questioned go teach at a nursery school.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want my ideas not to be questioned. I just don't see a need for the forum to be clogged with countless petty pissing contests.

Why would you even think that it has anything to do with agreeing with my ideas or not? It has everything to do with civility and respect and signal-to-noise ratio, and nothing whatsoever to do with whether people agree with me politically or not.

Why can't people here discuss, disagree and debate like mature adults, instead of like junior high-schoolers?
Old 09-04-2005, 04:42 PM

I'm certainly open to suggestions but the final say rests of course with the forum Administrators.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:51 PM

Interesting idea, DVault. Perhaps we should call one regular and the other decaf?
Old 09-04-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While you're creating this over-50 forum can you create a forum for People Who Think Just Like Me? Thanks.

Come on, MMMMMMMMMMMM. This is a message board, not a womb. If you want to participate in a forum where people look up to you and your ideas aren't questioned go teach at a nursery school.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want my ideas not to be questioned. I just don't see a need for the forum to be clogged with countless petty pissing contests.

Why would you even think that it has anything to do with agreeing with my ideas or not? It has everything to do with civility and respect and signal-to-noise ratio, and nothing whatsoever to do with whether people agree with me politically or not.

Why can't people here discuss, disagree and debate like mature adults, instead of like junior high-schoolers?

[/ QUOTE ]

...I'll try to answer your questions.

- Because YOUR idea of civility, respect et al may not be shared, as distasteful as you might find that, by others.

- Because YOUR idea of a mature adult is YOUR opinion, which you are entitled to, but you are NOT entitled to impose your opinion upon anyone else.

- ANY arbitrary standard imposed in a debate surrounding issues such as these imposes a 'glass ceiling' upon those involved in the debate.

- You continue to focus on the trappings of debate; not the substance.

A debate is supposed to be an exchange of ideas, ideology or points-of-view with an intent to come to some kind of resolution. How can any meaningful resolution ever be arrived at if there is some sort of arbitrary limit set in such an exchange?

Setting ANY standards also has one other incredibly dangerous effect....

It prevents the debators from knowing the FULL extent of each others point of view, i.e., it forces some to be deceptive.

Let it rip.....Let it roar. Let people get emotional....Let them get passionate.

Let EVERYONE reveal the full extent of their point of view. Then, judge them by what they say....an uncensored 'what they say'.

Sensibilites will get offended, but SO WHAT!?

It is only under these conditions that any of us will truly be able to fairly evaluate anothers' point of view.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you've forgotten how fun juvenile behavior can be. There are a lot of nasty things going on in the world today and anything posted on a message board pales in comparison.

Engage in a little juvenile behavior and see if you like it. In response to this post, call me a douchebag and then type "PWND". I won't be offended. And, maybe you'll find out that you enjoy acting like a 12-year-old on ocassion.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of nasty things going on in the world today and anything posted on a message board pales in comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be patently obvious;

anyone arguing for 'higher posting standards' seems to be overindulging themselves in delusions of their own self-importance; or perhaps everyone here is just forgetting the important, vital work MMMMMM and the rest of the veteran poster brigade had been doing towards solving the world’s problems, before all the riff-raff wandered in.