Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Pwning a pwn3r

Stars 11r, past rebuy period.

PokerStars Game #2318619054: Tournament #10966958, Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2005/08/11 - 23:53:21 (ET)
Table '10966958 27' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: andurill (2900 in chips)
Seat 2: EverettKings (44870 in chips)
Seat 3: nikkibaby1 (9695 in chips)
Seat 4: TxSteve (4600 in chips)
Seat 5: bigblind69 (6445 in chips)
Seat 6: Indmpst (10350 in chips)
Seat 7: mitts (8380 in chips)
Seat 8: dapeders (18710 in chips)
Seat 9: PokerJunky26 (18145 in chips)
andurill: posts the ante 25
EverettKings: posts the ante 25
nikkibaby1: posts the ante 25
TxSteve: posts the ante 25
bigblind69: posts the ante 25
Indmpst: posts the ante 25
mitts: posts the ante 25
dapeders: posts the ante 25
PokerJunky26: posts the ante 25
mitts: posts small blind 100
dapeders: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to EverettKings [Ah Qd]
PokerJunky26: folds
andurill: calls 200
EverettKings: calls 200
nikkibaby1: folds
TxSteve: calls 200
bigblind69: calls 200
Indmpst: folds
mitts: calls 100
dapeders: raises 18485 to 18685 and is all-in
andurill: calls 2675 and is all-in
EverettKings: calls 18485

Noone was a maniac. Soooooooo... good thinking or am I a big dope?

Kings
Old 08-12-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Pwning a pwn3r

I really dont like it with this deep of a stack ? let him have it either way a bluff with crap or small pair or a hand that has you in trouble.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:17 AM

I think a small pair shows up here way too often for this to be a good call. Coincidently, why no PFR?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Advisory

Well my vote goes in the "I'm a dope" column.

I really just was high on my card rush fumes and didn't stop to think the severity of this one through. His push was HUGE. The pot was SMALL. I was very unlikley to have him killed. I should have let him have this one, bluff or not, as I can find way better spots for my chips.

I really just wanted 2+2 to slap me around a little so that I don't stop thinking when I get a rush into great shape. He turned out to have KK, but I wanted to make sure that all the bad names I was calling myself weren't just because of the results. This post goes out as a warning to other players susceptible to this. There's never an excuse not to think a hand through.

*SLAP*

Kings

PS To the pfr question, I considered it, but I just prefer to limp a lot of medium-strong hands here because I'm so deep. I'll look for spots to take stacks, not piddle around. With AQs I like the limp better, offsuit its debatable.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Advisory

[ QUOTE ]
To the pfr question, I considered it, but I just prefer to limp a lot of medium-strong hands here because I'm so deep. I'll look for spots to take stacks, not piddle around. With AQs I like the limp better, offsuit its debatabl

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a hole in your game. Having a large stack allows you to limp hands like 33, 67s, but doensn't change how you should play hands like AK,AQ, AA, KK. These hands fair well in pots with 3 players or less. They don't do well in multiway pots. You are more likely to hit TPTK and lose a bundle than you are to take someone else's stack with this hand in a multi-way pot.

CSC
Old 08-12-2005, 12:53 AM

Do you really think that I don't know how AQ fares best? That it plays better 3 way? That I should limp 67s and 44 on a big stack?

Obviously its better to have fewer opponents by raising, but I hurt my chances of winning a big pot. WIth shallower stacks, the immediate chips gained by raising is of more value, but here it means squat to me to pick up the blinds or get a caller and make a continuation bet, etc.

If I limp I set these loose cannons up for a big fall. I'm going to avoid close decisions and either get out cheap or get in big. I.e. not go nuts on an A or Q high flop unless the action is right. That make sense?

Like I said AQs I would like more because it fares better multiway, but I think its a huge hole in YOUR game if you cant identify situations where it may be more profitable to *gasp* break conventions.

Kings
Old 08-12-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a small pair shows up here way too often for this to be a good call. Coincidently, why no PFR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Soooooooo do you call here with 88?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:27 AM

i think AQo is too easy to lay down here. id look for a better spot.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:43 PM

You are a dope for using 2 variations of "pwn" in the subject line of your post.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:53 PM

Just curious, as I am not an expert by any means, however...

Not to use a single hand as indicative of an entire style of play, but would this hand not be a perfect example of the flaw in your approach here?

Because you did not raise, you were stuck in a situation where you could not put your opponent on any sort of specific hand. He could be sensing weakness and trying to steal the pot or he could have something huge, which he did. But you don't know that because you didn't raise before the flop.

Had you raised and he re-raised, you would have been able to put him on a very strong hand and folded.