Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 07-28-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: HOW DO YOU PREVENT TILTING

"buy one of those pregnancy test kits...after you receive the negative results, you can always mumble the phrase... 'hey, atleast i'm not pregnant' and you know better days are around the corner"
Old 07-28-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I just flopped a straight and I put this guy on a set then the board was running 3's on the turn and river and I knew he just hit a set and rivered a boat but I check called him anyway cause I was pissed off

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with the way you played this hand. (Except you should have called because you had the X:1 odds, not because you were pissed off.) He'd have to turn his cards face up for me to fold here. I don't know how big the pot was, but you will get shown a two pair or something often enough against most opponents to make laying down the straight a big mistake. Besides, getting a straight beat by a set that fills up isn't really a bad beat. The guy with the set is behind, but he has 7 outs on the turn and 10 on the river to beat you. He was almost certainly correct to stay in the hand (In fact, he should have been raising. He had a very strong hand with a very strong redraw if behind and he didn't know you flopped a straight.) He has more outs to a better hand than somebody with a flush draw or an open end straight draw. I think you have a lot to learn if you want to be a winning poker player. I would guess that a lot of the "bad beats" that put you on tilt aren't really bad beats.

On the general tilt issue: Beats (bad and otherwise) happen. You have to take the long view and accept that the person who laid the bad beat on you is giving you money in the long run. You don't deserve to win that particular hand. You do deserve to win over the long haul if you are playing better than your opponents. Bad beats are frustrating. But if you can't keep that frustration from causing you to play stupidly, you should quit now.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tilt means that you EXPECT to win

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to get this through my thick skull and I might become a better player.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:53 PM

solution: 8 tabling 30-60 on Party [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

OK, just kidding. i guess u can do one of the following:

1) yoga meditation
2) chinese kung-fu meditation
3) meditate before multi-tabling
4) have a unusually large bankroll for your limit
5) play unusually tight

-Kenny
Old 07-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Hers a trick I used. I bought a set of poker chips. Everytime i play hand i know i shouldnt preflop I have to throw the chips in a pot. Also the ones on turn and river. If I win i can remove the net profit from the pot. Rarely happens by the way. Funny thing is those bad hands that you should have thrown away dont usually just cost you one bet. At the end of the session I see how much in the pot.And at the end of a bad session If you played your A game you still be up its the bad hands you play on tilt that kill you. Cured me immediately next session.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:32 PM

DO your winning, then when you get a bad beat and begin to tilt. Just stop playing.

Either that, or understand poker and variance better and then you won't tilt to begin with.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:06 PM

Excellent description of what causes tilting. I find that I am more apt to tilt after winning alot and then begging to lose as oppose to losing immediately upon joining a game. A person trully has to be a blank page when playing and not expect a win or a loss.

I think the best way to gain this state of mind (at least for me) is to play for something other than yourself. I learned a while back that poker is not going to make me rich. It's a very good way to supplement my income and I now play to pay bills, go on vacations, etc. Not only do I benefit from this, but so do my parents, my girlfriend, etc. I have a sticky note on my computer that says 'play for Rebecca' (my girlfriend). It reminds me that I'm not playing for glory or millions, just a steady income. With good play over time I'll make money, over the short run things happen...oh well.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:33 PM

Tilts got banned. That should help!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I throw [censored] at the wall. That makes me feel better.

[/ QUOTE ]

[image]http://604poker.com/images/culprit.jpeg[/image]

That's an actual imprint of a TI poker chip in my wall do to... well... let's not go there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For some reason the pic won't post. Link below:

http://604poker.com/images/culprit.jpeg

[/ QUOTE ]

i have holes in my wall as well from throwing chips at it, i should take pics

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha you rookies. I just finished patching the holes in my wall from when I threw my chair across the room.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
some people liked Zen and the Art of Poker and maybe it could provide you with soime help

[/ QUOTE ]
I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this book. Bought it in 2000 or 2001 and have read it many times since.