Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: ok, this one is really hard

[ QUOTE ]
I figured this out while driving to my office at school to study for the evening. I wrote it down on a napkin as I was leaving the house and the disaster that is Los Angeles traffic afforded me the time in the car to solve it.

There is an error in your puzzle. Preceed the first number by 3. With that adjustment we have

answer: <font color="white">000 000 000</font>.

The key was the block of numbers

and

in the sequence. These made me recognize what was going on with the whole sequence. It is, in fact, not meant to be viewed as a sequence but as one integer.

[/ QUOTE ]

stuff written below:
<font color="white">
any chance you could explain why those block of numbers would make you think of factorials? i am baffled [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] </font>
Old 07-25-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I figured this out while driving to my office at school to study for the evening. I wrote it down on a napkin as I was leaving the house and the disaster that is Los Angeles traffic afforded me the time in the car to solve it.

There is an error in your puzzle. Preceed the first number by 3. With that adjustment we have

and

in the sequence. These made me recognize what was going on with the whole sequence. It is, in fact, not meant to be viewed as a sequence but as one integer.

[/ QUOTE ]

any chance you could explain why those block of numbers would make you think of factorials? i am baffled [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't make me think of factorials. They made me recognize the whole sequence should be viewed as an one integer and must be contained in some other famous sequence. So then I tried to think of famous sequences of integers of which this one might be contained in. Factorials is one such sequence.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

and

[/ QUOTE ]

any chance you could explain why those block of numbers would make you think of factorials? i am baffled [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't make me think of factorials. They made me recognize the whole sequence should be viewed as an one integer and must be contained in some other famous sequence. So then I tried to think of famous sequences of integers of which this one might be contained in. Factorials is one such sequence.

[/ QUOTE ]

because they start with a 0?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are correct. and i did mistype it. im amazed you still got it. the full number is 33,452,526,613,163,807,108,170,062,053,440,751,665 ,152,000,000,000
Old 07-25-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know why everyone calls you a nit. It's because they're [censored] jealous of your superior intellect. Stay strong jason. jason, stay strong.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:53 AM

Yeah the spacing seem to indicate that it was one long number, but seriously how did you recognize it as 41!...in your car on the way to work. Please tell me you at least tried a few other possibilities on a calulator first and arent one of those people that can calculate this stuff in their head.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah the spacing seem to indicate that it was one long number, but seriously how did you recognize it as 41!...in your car on the way to work. Please tell me you at least tried a few other possibilities on a calulator first and arent one of those people that can calculate this stuff in their head.

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess is that he recognized that it was a factorial, tried a few numbers to narrow down the range, and settled upon 41 after a few tries. No way he calculated this in his head.

Scary thing is there are people that can do [censored] like that...although this factorial itself might be too hard...
Old 07-26-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
noone will ever get this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

if only i knew how to work "jason_t" into "pwned"
Old 07-26-2005, 03:30 PM

So the question then is, does jason have a calculator mounted on his dashboard or something? Somehow this wouldnt totally surprise me.