Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: The Sidewalks Where Terror Breeds

[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness,
Why can't we break the religion. It happened to Christianity. Why can't Islam be reformed under the influence of a modern society?
The foriegn policy in the ME should be Democracy Now. Democracy for all. Damn the economics.
X

[/ QUOTE ]

Christianity broke itself. For a successful break in Islam, it's gotta come from within. The moderates have to step up.
Forcing change from outside will not succeed in the long run.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Muslims around the world are being slaughtered, he tells them. "All we ask them is: 'Remove your troops from Muslim lands and we will stop all of this.' " The men nod in agreement. One glances into the baby stroller he's pushing. Car after car races past.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least a part of the solution.

The moderate and mainstream muslims cannot solve this problem. All they can do is wring their hands and try to defend their religion, their voices swamped by the fear driven bigotry of the neo-con controlled media looking to make the religion the scapegoat.

Fortunately, the future is in our hands. Unfortunately, those who can do, dont recognize the solution. Time is short, very short.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're saying religion doens't have anything to do with it and the media would be wrong to include Islam as a large factor in motivating these terrorists? you believe they [the media] are malicously and wrongfully associating Islam with these attacks for the sake of promoting their neo-con agenda?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you believe they [the media] are malicously and wrongfully associating Islam with these attacks for the sake of promoting their neo-con agenda?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think it is malicious.

I am saying that there is a lot we can do policy while which would be far more effective then waiting for moderate Islam. These changes would also directly bolster moderate islams voice to try and make the changes.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:18 PM

I disagree about N. Korea. I think N. Korea can be changed thru trade and relations.

Nazi Germany could have been changed as well. Specially in the early 30's. By 38 that avenue may not have been available. I am not sure.

In this war, force is not an option. There is no country that we can invade that would do the trick. There is no army we can defeat and most inportant there is no measure of success. Iraq was not even close to being a threat to us -- at least wrt 9/11 and AQ.